sharetrader
Page 66 of 697 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166566 ... LastLast
    Guru

Tim Wilson's take on it:

"We’re talking about a victim led process. Are you kidding me? This has been a political damage led process from the outset. The Labour party should be renamed with the Weinstein party, virtuous on the outside and rotten to the core on the inside. By the way your conversation with that so called expert, if I am the parent of a child who has been sexually attacked I want to know because I care more about that child than some cringing, gurning self appointed health counsellor ever would".

IMO

Not that simple. 16 year olds have a right to privacy . No mention of the 20 year old being prosecuted; he needs to learn that you cant get away with it and to be made accountable, the buck stops with him..

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Not that simple. 16 year olds have a right to privacy ..
    I reckon a parent's right to know their child has been sexually assaulted trumps the child's right to privacy. I'm getting a sense of whose privacy was trying to be protected here - and I don't think the children were front of mind.

As for the 20 year. old That's one person that needs help. To be rejected by one child is bad enough. But then to go trying it on with 3 others. Mind boggles.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Lets not gloss over the inconvenient problem that the PM was not informed (so she says) and I'd have to say the somewhat questionable decision to refer the victims (eventually) to a unionist at the HELP centre. I'm not convinced sending two boys to a lesbian feminist is necessarily the best course to take.
    This thread is starting to sound like the worst aspects of talkback radio , where people have their uninformed, biased, political even, opinions and little facts, muck raking , blowing things up, smearing etc etc.. But hey i forget it is a politics thread isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    When in some kind of state care (health education police etc) a child is a person aged under 18. These organisations have to take special steps to ensure the safety of the "child".
    https://www.kiwifamilies.co.nz/artic...ge-guidelines/

Seems to be a mixed bag. Note the age of consent

westerly

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    This thread is starting to sound like the worst aspects of talkback radio , where people have their uninformed, biased, political even, opinions and little facts, muck raking , blowing things up, smearing etc etc.. But hey i forget it is a politics thread isn't it
    I'm apolitical on this issue. I could have said the families have no rights to know given they already allow their children to attend a Labour Youth Camp - surely that has to be either child neglect or abuse. One or other. But no - I didnt say that.

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    https://www.kiwifamilies.co.nz/artic...ge-guidelines/

Seems to be a mixed bag. Note the age of consent

westerly
    Its a pretty clear bag. These are things children can do once they reach a certain age. I see "having hands down your knickers" isnt on the list.

So Brash will be pissed by the PM keeping this issue in the headlines by having a press conference...that’ll make it on the 6 o’clock news I reckon.

Seemed the press conference was all about Labour anyway
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Seems a lot of people knew .....wonder if EZ knew ..... his part of the world
    Nope, but I did recognise one participant I think. Can I just say at this point that the Young Labour people were not immediately obvious when it was time to put up signs or to campaign door to door in our electorate. They did turn up in big numbers with placards attached to their arms if there were TV cameras or Jacinda in the vicinity. These Millennials are people who apparently are not just "Poor", but they are "Time Poor" when it comes to doing the hard yards. I'd like to hear an an opposing argument about this.

They will be interested in bending the party's ear about things like LGBT rights, about whether we should legalise cannabis. Stuff that will lose us votes when we are appealing to wider NZ.

This whole incident which has put Labour in the news in a very bad way, could have been generated by a drunken person going wayward for a few minutes before he was stopped. Whether it was clever sabotage or just underlying very nasty behaviour from an outsider that has emerged, Labour didn't have the systems in place to stop it from getting a lot worse. They'll have that in place from now on. Good to hear that Young Labour events are also being stopped for the meantime.

Labour needs younger members, but we also need them to step up when we need their energy. The participants at that camp were all given a copy of the expected behaviour rules to read, early on. The Party doesn't spend millions of dollars on advertising, paid for mostly by older members, for the marketing to be blown away by an underage booze-up that went wrong.

Dilettante

Bearing in mind that a free trade agreement with Russia is a priority for this Government and was mentioned in the "speech from the throne" and has since been reiterated by the FM on several occasions, I wonder where we stand with NZ-Europe relations today. Will Winnie side with Russia ?