sharetrader
Page 114 of 697 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124164214614 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 6963

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Back then it was the unions I feared.
    I cannot recall nurses or teachers ever threatening or going on strike back in those days. The seamans, freezing workers, and watersiders unions frequently.
    Nationals crusade to cut expenditure is more likly to be the cause of the present unrest.

westerly

Guru

Back then it was the unions I feared.
    Wasn't the 1970's and early 80's the time when you had (in a NZ context) extremists in the unions and an extremist in power (Muldoon - aka NZ's King Cnut trying to hold back the tide.) Social tensions started to boil over with Bastion Point and the Springbok Tour. At least the Nats and Labour (without the Greens) are more or less centrists now.

IMO

Finding Government's slush fund

"Not least of these is the legislation amending employment law, currently before Parliament.

Either way, a substantial boost to public sector incomes is now clearly signalled, with flow-on into private sector wages almost inevitable in the next couple of years.
    With the Treasury already forecasting a continuation of above-inflation wage growth over the next three years anyway, and the fiscal stimulus of the July 1 Families Package yet to be felt by lower income households, the stage is now set for robust domestic consumption in the medium term.
    That should keep the economy ticking along, which is important because the forecast increases in the tax take are fundamental to affording a public sector wage break-out, while keeping to the Government's self-imposed Budget responsibility rules."

Dilettante

That´s great news JT. As simple as increasing everyone´s wages, boosting the economy to increase tax takes and everyone is happy. Hand me another Tui please.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That´s great news JT. As simple as increasing everyone´s wages, boosting the economy to increase tax takes and everyone is happy. Hand me another Tui please.
    Exactly. They should legislate to double all wages instantly. Not just cops, nurses, teachers, but everybody. Better still - triple them.

Guru

Exactly. They should legislate to double all wages instantly. Not just cops, nurses, teachers, but everybody. Better still - triple them.
    Then we need to double benefits as well. and the pension. Should solve all societal problems as everyone has enough money to survive. Thanks Cindy.

IMO

You're are finally getting it guys, a pallet of tuis coming your way, well done, .....finally!
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 31-05-2018 at 09:12 PM.

At local cafe waiting for my mate to turn up couldn’t help but listen into a passionate conversation at the next table

Obviously keen Labour guys who were lamenting that even with Jacinda’s pronouncement that neo-liberalism was dead Labour don’t seem to be making much effort to lose their ‘neo-liberal soul’ as they put it.

They seemed to be disappointed that getting into power has changed their intentions / priorities and staying in government is now the main objective.

Luckily I was saved from the rest of this conversation by my mate.
    Last edited by winner69; 03-06-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    At local cafe waiting for my mate to turn up couldn’t help but listen into a passionate conversation at the next table

Obviously keen Labour guys who were lamenting that even with Jacinda’s pronouncement that neo-liberalism was dead Labour don’t seem to be making much effort to lose their ‘neo-liberal soul’ as they put it.

They seemed to be disappointed that getting into power has changed their intentions / priorities and staying in government is now the main objective.

Luckily I was saved from the rest of this conversation by my mate.
    Perhaps it was JT and westerly.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Perhaps it was JT and westerly.
    LOL.
    My wife says I will always argue the opposite to whatever someone is saying. Therefore given the preponderance of right side ( usually wrong though) supporters on Sharetrader it is only natural I would take the opposing arguement especially when there is a misrepresentation of facts.
    Things aren't always what they seem.

westerly