sharetrader
Page 117 of 697 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167217617 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 6963
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Let's just say I didn't know until more recently about National's system of fundraising from affluent business owners and the like. It doesn't feel OK that these people could have a much more direct line to lobby MPs and ministers, than most of us do. .....
    There's two things there. One is access to MPs and Ministers, The other is money donated to a party.

Access is relatively straightforward. Yesterday I spent the best part of an hour with my local MP on a complex policy topic. Also yesterday a mate spent time with a Minister, again on a policy topic.

In each case it was a matter of requesting an appointment. We are both ordinary people, not lobbyists or rich and famous.

Our representatives seem to be very accessible, even meeting in cafes sometimes.

Fundraising is a different beast. Some donors support multiple parties. Some support the one they agree with. Some donors seem to manage a nudge nudge wink wink with supporters of their industry. Can't possibly imagine which Deputy PM might be involved in anything like that.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Fundraising is a different beast. Some donors support multiple parties. Some support the one they agree with. Some donors seem to manage a nudge nudge wink wink with supporters of their industry. Can't possibly imagine which Deputy PM might be involved in anything like that.
    Your not suggesting Winston and the Talley's are good mates are you?

Commendable effort by Labour in Northcote

Some reckon Bridges didn’t help Nats cause...result doesn’t really matter but no doubt analysed to death to prove what you want ...like Kirton already touting a moral victory
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Commendable effort by Labour in Northcote

Some reckon Bridges didn’t help Nats cause...result doesn’t really matter but no doubt analysed to death to prove what you want ...like Kirton already touting a moral victory
    The trend is good, now that he's established his name there and made the previously strong National seat marginal, Shanan should be able to take Northcote in the 2020 elections.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/loc...te-by-election

IMO

A little dissapointed. National got about the same % of votes as last time 51%. Voter turnout was way down 21000 v 37,000 at election. Labour candidate has integrity and values and is a local, the other guy to me is a salesman.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    A little dissapointed. National got about the same % of votes as last time 51%. Voter turnout was way down 21000 v 37,000 at election. Labour candidate has integrity and values and is a local, the other guy to me is a salesman.
    What a surprise - JT is trashing the winning candidate. Let me guess - it must have been the National candidate who won?

So - "just a salesman". Not sure what's wrong with that anyway, but for JT are probably just blue collar workers and farmers honest people, and we are not so sure about the farmers either -aren't we, JT?

BTW - The name of the other guy who did win the election is Dan Bidois. Admittedly - he is young (but so is Taxinda) and he has got already quite a career:

Manager, Strategy and New Ventures - Foodstuffs North Island Limited
    Strategist/Fellow - Malaysia Blue Ocean Strategy Institute
    Economist/Policy Analyst - OECD
    Research Analyst - The New Zealand Institute

Ah yes, and he started his career as president for the Auckland University Students' Association. Must have quite a spine and outstanding leadership skills prepared to put his foot down against the red flood and the unions. No wonder JT does not like him.

BTW - I can't find "salesman" on his CV ;

JT - you are so predictable, but confirming an unknown Labour candidate integrity (and implying with that the National candidate "just a salesman" has none or less?) is just one of your too frequent dirty smears. Are you not ashamed of yourself?
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 10-06-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Oh dear, JT - you must be kidding. Confirming this particular Labour candidate integrity and values must be the own goal of the year ;

Wasn't this the guy who claimed on his CV that he holds an MBA and later had to admit that he just started to study part time towards an MBA (and later broke up his studies?

https://yournz.org/2018/04/21/future...dates-profile/

What values? What integrity? But I am sure - one of Labours best people ;
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 10-06-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added link
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    The trend is good, now that he's established his name there and made the previously strong National seat marginal, Shanan should be able to take Northcote in the 2020 elections.
    Yes, definitely a possibility Labour could regain Northcote. Not a huge number of votes between National and Labour and the gap should narrow if the coalition is seen to be doing well. A lot will depend on whether Labour's support parties stand against Labour there. eZ, would you see Labour doing an electorate deal or two in 2020?

Makes sense to me if support parties stand aside in exchange for a clear run elsewhere.

At least JT only called Bidoir a ‘salesman’ - could’ve have been worse and said a car salesman or worse still a seller of financial products.

But isnt that NZ Institute in some people’s eyes an evil organisation.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

IMO

I listened and watched interviews with both candidates before forming my opinion , i suggest others do the same before reactive uninformed comments.