sharetrader
Page 191 of 697 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195201241291691 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 6963
    IMO

Cant keep up with all the REAL good stuff happening.Just keeps coming.

TPP takes effect: Exporters await tariff-cut benefits
    "He said the deal gave protection to signatory countries, with an assurance rules would be followed, and a signal that there was "a new rules-based order out there in the world that people can buy into if they want."

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Cant keep up with all the REAL good stuff happening.Just keeps coming.

TPP takes effect: Exporters await tariff-cut benefits
    "He said the deal gave protection to signatory countries, with an assurance rules would be followed, and a signal that there was "a new rules-based order out there in the world that people can buy into if they want."
    OK - one postive (and even correct) announcement. However wasn't it National negotiating this agreement for New Zealand? Labour's major contribution was to help removing the US from the agreement after the idiot moved into the white hosue ;

But still - praise where praise is due ... good that Labour didn't ditch the agreement given how hard they fired against it while still in opposition.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    OK - one postive (and even correct) announcement. However wasn't it National negotiating this agreement for New Zealand? Labour's major contribution was to help removing the US from the agreement after the idiot moved into the white hosue ;

But still - praise where praise is due ... good that Labour didn't ditch the agreement given how hard they fired against it while still in opposition.
    Forgive me but my eyes glaze over at teh mention of TPP.

However Labour did have 5 non-negotiable bottom lines. How did they get on?

• Pharmac must be protected
    • Corporations cannot successfully sue the Government for regulating in the public interest
    • New Zealand maintains the right to restrict sales of farm land and housing to non-resident foreigner buyers
    • The Treaty of Waitangi must be upheld
    • Meaningful gains are made for our farmers in tariff reductions and market access

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Forgive me but my eyes glaze over at teh mention of TPP.

However Labour did have 5 non-negotiable bottom lines. How did they get on?

• Pharmac must be protected
    • Corporations cannot successfully sue the Government for regulating in the public interest
    • New Zealand maintains the right to restrict sales of farm land and housing to non-resident foreigner buyers
    • The Treaty of Waitangi must be upheld
    • Meaningful gains are made for our farmers in tariff reductions and market access
    I think the clause related to restricting sales of land to foreigners is a non-issue, given that they put that into law before the agreement came into force (in this case it would have been ok under the old agreement as well - some of the other countries have comparable restrictions as well).

No idea whether they made any changes related to the other issues, but I am sure JT will be happy to report ;
    ----

Dilettante

We can always rely on Winnie as every Government he belongs to is very good at signing FTAs, despite his crusade against them when in opposition.

IMO

I think the clause related to restricting sales of land to foreigners is a non-issue, given that they put that into law before the agreement came into force (in this case it would have been ok under the old agreement as well - some of the other countries have comparable restrictions as well).

No idea whether they made any changes related to the other issues, but I am sure JT will be happy to report ;
    Not forgetting national said it just couldn't be done lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Not forgetting national said it just couldn't be done lol.
    And they might have been right. Just remember that Trumps demise (unfortunately just out of the TPP) did buy all other participants time to change their national laws ...

Never thought the bully in the white house could be good for something?

But anyway - sort of disappointed. We expected from you a quality response convincing us of Labour's greatness instead of a flippant remark related to a windfall win for the government thanks to Trump's demise.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 02-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    ----

IMO

Meanwhile, letting fees gone at last.
    Renters 'really really happy' letting fees will be banned

IMO

Very cool
    “Building on existing partnerships with Ngaī Tahu, landholders, and local councils this nationally significant biodiversity project builds on decades of DOC’s biodiversity work and the help of many volunteers.
    Inspirational predator free Mackenzie project announced

No sh1t Sherlock: "Ardern said three weeks was too long for the investigation, and she wanted answers "as quickly as possible". "My expectation is that it is done very quickly, because from what I've seen this hasn't been good enough."

What did Lees-Galloway expect from a lying, drug smuggling gang associate. These Labour MP's seem to live in little happy princess land where all is sweetness and nice. Totally oblivious to reality. The general public knew it was a mistake within nano-seconds. Why would L-G need 3 weeks - other than hope that during the delay the spotlight could be shone on some other incompetent Labour MP who pops their head above the ramparts.