sharetrader
Page 203 of 697 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253303 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 6963
    Veteran novice

Yes, 15% invested in NZ businesses is far too little but to restrict the fund to NZ-only investments in an attempt to remedy past issues in the NZ capital markets would also be inappropriate. The purpose of the NZ Super Fund, despite political tinkering, is first and foremost, to achieve the best possible return for superannuation.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Yes, 15% invested in NZ businesses is far too little but to restrict the fund to NZ-only investments in an attempt to remedy past issues in the NZ capital markets would also be inappropriate. The purpose of the NZ Super Fund, despite political tinkering, is first and foremost, to achieve the best possible return for superannuation.
    NZ Business (or at least those that can withstand financial scrutiny) are already well served by NZ Super and ACC investments as well as various Kiwisaver schemes.. This is a bit like the whole nonsense "diversity" argument. We dont want quotas - we need sound financial investments. Wherever in the world that might be. We most certainly do not need politicians meddling.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    NZ Business (or at least those that can withstand financial scrutiny) are already well served by NZ Super and ACC investments as well as various Kiwisaver schemes.. This is a bit like the whole nonsense "diversity" argument. We dont want quotas - we need sound financial investments. Wherever in the world that might be. We most certainly do not need politicians meddling.
    Best way to reduce Politicians meddling - if that is ever possible - would be to scrap the Superfund and give KiwiSaver some more teeth. The current Superfund balance should be applied to reduce government debt.

I think current institutional investments on NZ shares and business is insufficient. We should have been able to keep many of the companies that have swum to the other side of the ditch. KiwiSaver is a minnow for an OECD economy of NZ's size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    The current Superfund balance should be applied to reduce government debt.
    Interest rates are so low at the moment debt isn't a problem. Indeed govt should be borrowing more and dealing with infrastructure issues impacting productivity. Get things up an running now, then begin paying down debt. Rather than leaving it until debt is even more expensive and we have lost more years in productivity.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Interest rates are so low at the moment debt isn't a problem. Indeed govt should be borrowing more and dealing with infrastructure issues impacting productivity. Get things up an running now, then begin paying down debt. Rather than leaving it until debt is even more expensive and we have lost more years in productivity.
    Good point. Although as asset prices are (falling but still) high I would suggest not taking on more debt now but liquidating and using the superfund for the much needed infrastructure catch-up. If there is a gfc mkII that may be when NZ will need to take on more debt.

Net migration was 61,800 over last 12 months.....which many reckon is way too high and the cause of our housing woes and all that

Weird nobody seems to talk about migration numbers anymore
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

That was an expensive train ride ....must offer to take Jacinda out on my mates boat

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...d-christchurch

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    That was an expensive train ride ....must offer to take Jacinda out on my mates boat

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...d-christchurch
    Only if your mate is going to start a new tourist venture with his boat!

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Good point. Although as asset prices are (falling but still) high I would suggest not taking on more debt now but liquidating and using the superfund for the much needed infrastructure catch-up. If there is a gfc mkII that may be when NZ will need to take on more debt.
    Well that I agree with. I see no problems with the Superfund investing in infrastructure in NZ but it would need to be in PPP and on a commercial basis (user pays). Not by Ministers of the day directing them to do so. This is very different to what was being suggested in the link I posted a few posts back, where they were talking about Ministers ordering the Superfund to invest seed funding in startups. That's crazy.

If I was Prof Brady I’d conclude from this interview with the OM that the PM knows that somebody is trying to stop her speaking out ...talk about being evasive with her answers

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/p...imidation-case