sharetrader
Page 273 of 697 FirstFirst ... 173223263269270271272273274275276277283323373 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,730 of 6963
    IMO

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    They are comfortable because they do not really care about the extra $5 a month they may be paying or just not motivated to seek out the best deal even though they have the means to. That is who my comment was addressed at.
    Thats cool ,thank you for clarifying your point of view with the above detail. Im thinking of the last online census organised by the previous govt which had a low takeup. And people without comps or the skills to use them, some elderly folk too.

Just out of interest Joshuatree, is there anything that the coalition has done, or is doing, that you DON'T agree with?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    Just out of interest Joshuatree, is there anything that the coalition has done, or is doing, that you DON'T agree with?
    I can answer that for him: No, there hasn't been, not one tiny thing has been less than perfect - not now and also never will be in the future.

IMO

Fungus find something positive to do with your life, your childish one liners add nothing, its like you are twiddling your fingers alot. Generate some positivity, real meaning in being on earth.

tga trader. I was disappointed in the 10,000 houses target. Over promised there and created expectations and gave j Collins far to much ammo to rubbish a noble intention. But i admire them tackling this housing problem after the last govt flogged off many state houses, try and try again which they are, and being more realistic with the reset. To be expected when taking up the reins after 9 years out.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Fungus find something positive to do with your life, your childish one liners add nothing, its like you are twiddling your fingers alot. Generate some positivity, real meaning in being on earth.

tga trader. I was disappointed in the 10,000 houses target. Over promised there and created expectations and gave j Collins far to much ammo to rubbish a noble intention. But i admire them tackling this housing problem after the last govt flogged off many state houses, try and try again which they are, and being more realistic with the reset. To be expected when taking up the reins after 9 years out.
    Where do you sit wrt the Capital Gains Tax JT ? While on a personal level I am really happy with the outcome....I feel it is a major missed opportunity for NZ. I was really disappointed that there wasn't a better effort to sell it to NZ...even if they knew it was a no goer because of NZ First. And on top of that Jacinda ruled it out for the future as well. Really surprised by this.

Advanced Member

..... But i admire them tackling this housing problem after the last govt flogged off many state houses....
    This is said very very often, and it is true. What is not mentioned by the KoolAid drinkers is that most were sold at mates rates to Community Housing Providers who get a taxpayer top up to market rent. Some were sold specifically to first home buyers and some on the open market - not random either. Usually because there was no demand for the size and location. Now people live in them. Some were demolished to develop the site or because uneconomic to reno.

Dilettante

Artemis it doesn't suit far lefties to point that out. It doesn't fit their agenda. A bit like the global climate crisis rubbish that nobody is allowed to debate or question.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    This is said very very often, and it is true. What is not mentioned by the KoolAid drinkers is that most were sold at mates rates to Community Housing Providers who get a taxpayer top up to market rent. Some were sold specifically to first home buyers and some on the open market - not random either. Usually because there was no demand for the size and location. Now people live in them. Some were demolished to develop the site or because uneconomic to reno.
    Fair enough but did that stop a housing crisis no!They had 9 years to not give a stuff.Denying there was one lol.Fiddlers.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 04-10-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Advanced Member

Fair enough but did that stop a housing crisis no!They had 9 years to not give a stuff.Denying there was one lol.Fiddlers.
    What exactly was the housing crisis? I agree there was, and is, a housing crisis for some households. That would include the tens of thousands every year that are mentioned in dispatches in the Tenancy Tribunal. Only a desperate landlord would want them as tenants, so many end up in overcrowded homes with friends or relations, or in motels and other emergency housing.

Perhaps there has not been enough new builds to cater for increased population. Some new builds are spec these days, but most have new owners signed up. (Except for Kiwibuild of course.) Apartment blocks need sales off the plans. 49 Auckland apartment developments that were planned to actually deliver last year didn't - abandoned, deferred, sites sold (Colliers). A main reason will be not enough sales. Reported a few months ago that Pinehill and Albany Heights were oversupplied with new builds.

Reserve Bank bank residential lending numbers shows that lending to residential investors for rentals is well under half mid 2016 - thousands of new rentals not bought or built every month. Why is that do you suppose?

So what exactly is the crisis?

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    So what exactly is the crisis?
    Initially I think it was the lack of houses being built to keep up with mass immigration and foreigners buying houses in Auckland but now I think it is more of a housing "price" crisis which we can mostly blame on central bank controlled money supply and low interest rates.

No one can address this particular problem, as money is created when people borrow and spend(on houses). If my understanding is correct, if people don't keep buying houses at higher and higher prices then the money supply could contract and something else would happen (some people suggest deflation(house price falls) and the end of the world but that seems a bit overdramatic).

Talking to an immigration consultant it is a lot more work to get an immigrant in the country since Labour came to power but it doesn't seem to have stemmed the tide. (Sorry that sounds racist but I am more of an across the board Xenophobe). Sad to see Kiwibuild failing or wasting money but nice to see our elected representatives are at least trying to do something about a crisis, real, perceived or otherwise.

Note that there is no housing crisis if you already own a house and/or have rental property.
    Last edited by Aaron; 09-10-2019 at 09:13 AM.