sharetrader
Page 3 of 697 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Been really good weather since Jacinda took over ....jeez the garden needs some water
    What country do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    What country do you live in?
    New Zealand - no rain since Jacinda was anointed and warmer than usual

Plants appreciated the drink I just gave them

Hope I don’t get taxed for doing that
    Last edited by winner69; 23-10-2017 at 07:35 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    New Zealand - no rain since Jacinda was anointed and warmer than usual

Plants appreciated the drink I just gave them

Hope I don’t get taxed for doing that
    Been pouring down south, but it doesn't go through a water meter - yet.

Dilettante

This would be really interesting http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11935754
    National could lodge a member's bill in Parliament to revive the Kermedec Ocean sanctuary. If they did, they'd only need the Greens to vote for it to pass it into law. Would the Greens vote against it ?? Interesting times already :-)
    If it passed into law that way, Winston would regard the coalition agreement broken by Labour as the couldn' t keep the Greens in check

Default Fiscal creep

For those who don't know, (and I will focus simply on the $48,000 band as that's the closest to the national average wage) fiscal creep is the process whereby as wages gradually go up over many years more or less in line with inflation the tax bands at which point people pay more tax stay the same for many many years so gradually more and more people pay higher tax as they creep into higher tax bans through fiscal creep.

The current wide tax band of $14,000 - $48,000 wherein people pay tax at 17.5% was scheduled to go up significantly under National to realign it to where it was many years ago.

One of Labour's first act's will be to increase taxation as they will reverse the enacted legislation expanding this scope of this tax band. In effect more and more modest income earners will be paying tax at 30% on anything they earn over $48,000 plus 15% GST and if you don't have any kids then tough luck because you'll miss out on any assistance that Labour's family assistance package will provide. In effect by the time you take into account local government taxes and taxes on things like petrol, tobacco and alcohol and duty on some products most people will pay an effective tax rate of over 50% for every dollar they earn over $48,000. I hope you folks are as outraged about this as I am. When the state gets more than you do from your earnings the system is broken !!!!

Just to be clear, Tax is increasing on 1 April 2018 under the Labour lead coalition.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-10-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

The Greens voted for the change but Labour said it was a huge tax reduction for the rich. Go figure.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Just to be clear, Tax is increasing on 1 April 2018 under the Labour lead coalition.
    Nothing wrong with paying more tax, it is what they do with those taxes that is the important thing.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/personal-income-tax-rate

Look at this list, generally the countries that look after their people are near the top. The obsession with tax in this country is unhealthy. Less is not always better
    Last edited by ratkin; 23-10-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Nothing wrong with paying more tax, it is what they do with those taxes that is the important thing.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/personal-income-tax-rate

Look at this list, generally the countries that look after their people are near the top. The obsession with tax in this country is unhealthy. Less is not always better
    That list is too simplistic and only accounts for personal income tax, NZ is highly taxed once you total up all the various taxes aside from personal income tax. I'm with Beagle, once your paying over 50% of your income as tax, it's a crime.

Gotta love Winston. He's going to get one bilion trees planted. I presume he knows Forestry is one of NZ's most dangerous industries. And who is he going to get toe plant the trees. Well it aint going to be immigrants - so that only leaves the unemployed. Ahh - now I see how the coalition is going to reduce the numbers of unemployed!

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Gotta love Winston. He's going to get one bilion trees planted. I presume he knows Forestry is one of NZ's most dangerous industries. And who is he going to get toe plant the trees. Well it aint going to be immigrants - so that only leaves the unemployed. Ahh - now I see how the coalition is going to reduce the numbers of unemployed!
    I think we'll also see them funnelled en mass back into education. During the time of the last Labour Gov, I was working for a large PTE. We saw a huge influx of students as Labour threw vast sums of cash at any tertiary educator that moved (private & public), then proclaimed excellent low unemployment figures. Some PTE and public institutions were subsequently chastised as running low-value courses (remember the newspaper reading course?). The TEC become much more outcomes focused from about 2010 onwards, but that could change.