sharetrader
Page 30 of 697 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130530 ... LastLast
    Dilettante

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/100...h-more-to-come

Disgusted Never ending gravy train and no such thing as "full and final".

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/100...h-more-to-come

Disgusted Never ending gravy train and no such thing as "full and final".
    putting this in the Labour/NZ First govt thread is incorrect - I quote from the article
    The clauses, agreed by the National Government of the day, were to induce the two iwi to become the first to settle and to ensure they were not disadvantaged, but have become something of a millstone around successive Governments' necks.

I do think that the current govt should have announced this to the public.
    Moreso the recipient Ngai Tahu Holdings should have announced it to their entire iwi.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    putting this in the Labour/NZ First govt thread is incorrect - I quote from the article
    The clauses, agreed by the National Government of the day, were to induce the two iwi to become the first to settle and to ensure they were not disadvantaged, but have become something of a millstone around successive Governments' necks.

I do think that the current govt should have announced this to the public.
    Moreso the recipient Ngai Tahu Holdings should have announced it to their entire iwi.
    Not sure what thread would have been better as this is the current political thread Peat. I am well aware that the National lead Government is at least equally responsible for this. Doesn't change the fact that I think this has gone so far beyond what was intended with the "$ 1Billion fiscal envelope" Doug Graham sold voters that it is a complete joke. These are big numbers and should be reported by the Government and recipients as you correctly point out.

Legend

Not sure what thread would have been better as this is the current political thread Peat. I am well aware that the National lead Government is at least equally responsible for this. Doesn't change the fact that I think this has gone so far beyond what was intended with the "$ 1Billion fiscal envelope" Doug Graham sold voters that it is a complete joke. These are big numbers and should be reported by the Government and recipients as you correctly point out.
    Yes, the amounts are big, but what value in current terms do you put on the land that was confiscated in the 1860s? I'm sure the money will be well spent in the system, it'll employ people too. Tainui and Ngai Tahu have both become economic powerhouses in their regions.

http://newzealandwars.co.nz/invasion-waikato-150-years/

Jacinda and Clarke on TV1 this morning, two smart people sharing their thoughts on the future. It'll be a lot of work, but they have the energy for it.
    Last edited by elZorro; 22-01-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Not sure what thread would have been better as this is the current political thread Peat.
    Fair enough iceman, I accept the expedience - but my point needed to be made.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Yes, the amounts are big, but what value in current terms do you put on the land that was confiscated in the 1860s? I'm sure the money will be well spent in the system, it'll employ people too. Tainui and Ngai Tahu have both become economic powerhouses in their regions.

It doesn't matter EZ what I think the value is or should have been. We were told the settlements were "full and final". They are anything but and seem to just go on and on with no end in sight. I agree Tainui and Ngai Tahu are now large and reasonably well run organisations/corporations. They don't need any more corporate welfare from the Government

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post

Jacinda and Clarke on TV1 this morning, two smart people sharing their thoughts on the future. It'll be a lot of work, but they have the energy for it.
    Yeah. Its going to be really tough for them. Jacinda on a great income. Got a chauffeur driven car. People to organise her diary. Poor old Clarke though - wont be able to fish so often. Thats got to be tough.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    No restraint needed. People are either very happy for her or just don't give a toss either way.

I have to ask though, how did you decide the political leanings of the contributers on the radio and rag you stated?
    Its actually really easy; Hosking and Richardson are a good starting point the right are welcome to them!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    Its actually really easy; Hosking and Richardson are a good starting point the right are welcome to them!
    Comprehension not your strong point either. Reread the posts to find I was referring to those that were ringing talk back and being categorised by huxley as "left and were happy" and "right and were not happy" about the news.

His reply was not worth acknowledging.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Comprehension not your strong point either. Reread the posts to find I was referring to those that were ringing talk back and being categorised by huxley as "left and were happy" and "right and were not happy" about the news.

His reply was not worth acknowledging.
    Fair enough, and I was trolling. But then this thread is pretty ridiculous.