sharetrader
Page 327 of 697 FirstFirst ... 227277317323324325326327328329330331337377427 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 6963
    Dilettante

So now we are back to National Roads of Significance that was loudly scrapped after the last election. This is good to see. As cynical and difficult this must have been for Labour and even more so the Greens (who really have no say in anything), it is a good decision for NZ. Just a same we had to have 2 years with no new roads started. It is also smart politics from Jacinda neutralising what would have been one of the main themes for National in the election campaign, because most voters are easily fooled.

Sadly though, the South Island has been almost totally left out.

I would expect Bridges to come out soon and announce that he will not under any circumstance work with Winston (he will not say NZ First). He should have done this already. The Greens will love that or as Claire Trevett says in the Herald this morning, the Greens' 2 goals are Zero Carbon by 2030 and Zero Winston by 2020 !!
    Last edited by iceman; 30-01-2020 at 07:14 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    So now we are back to National Roads of Significance that was loudly scrapped after the last election. This is good to see. As cynical and difficult this must have been for Labour and even more so the Greens (who really have no say in anything), it is a good decision for NZ. Just a same we had to have 2 years with no new roads started. It is also smart politics from Jacinda neutralising what would have been one of the main themes for National in the election campaign, because most voters are easily fooled.

Sadly though, the South Island has been almost totally left out.

I would expect Bridges to come out soon and announce that he will not under any circumstance work with Winston (he will not say NZ First). He should have done this already. The Greens will love that or as Claire Trevett says in the Herald this morning, the Greens' 2 goals are Zero Carbon by 2030 and Zero Winston by 2020 !!
    I'd go further and say Simon should take a bite out of Andrew Little's apple and stand down as leader. If Little had stayed at the helm Labour would not be where they are now. Bridges will never be P.M. but his experience and talents are well suited to plenty of other roles within National. All they need do to win the next election is shuffle a few positions, then stand back and let Labour lose.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I'd go further and say Simon should take a bite out of Andrew Little's apple and stand down as leader. If Little had stayed at the helm Labour would not be where they are now. Bridges will never be P.M. but his experience and talents are well suited to plenty of other roles within National. All they need do to win the next election is shuffle a few positions, then stand back and let Labour lose.
    Agree re Simon Bridges. Competent, but not the inspirational leader National needs.

Question is just - who would be Nationals white knight? While I see a lot of competent politicians in National am I not sure who would be the best figurehead after Amy Adams declared that she wants to retire ...

Judy Collins might well be next in line, but she would be in my view quite divisive rather than bringing voters together ...

Any suggestions?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Agree re Simon Bridges. Competent, but not the inspirational leader National needs.

Question is just - who would be Nationals white knight? While I see a lot of competent politicians in National am I not sure who would be the best figurehead after Amy Adams declared that she wants to retire ...

Judy Collins might well be next in line, but she would be in my view quite divisive rather than bringing voters together ...

Any suggestions?
    Mark Mitchell or Todd Muller seem to be the obvious choices. Judith Collins - no thanks. There's a few in there who haven't had much exposure, so the next leader might still be hiding under a rock.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Mark Mitchell or Todd Muller seem to be the obvious choices. Judith Collins - no thanks. There's a few in there who haven't had much exposure, so the next leader might still be hiding under a rock.
    Mark Mitchell has gone down a bit in my estimates as he has not used this term (after his failed Leadership bid) to enhance his standing with voters. In fact he doesn't really say much at all. Todd Muller on the other hand has worked hard reaching across the political spectrum and is an obvious choice, maybe with Nikki Kaye, Chris Bishop or Nicola Willis as Deputy.
    But I'm not seeing a Leadership change happening before the election and am unconvinced it should happen.

IMO

Todd Muller has all the things necessary to be the nexnat leader imo.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Voters easily fooled??
    It would seem that National has to work hard and be very deceptive and underhand to fool the voters.

https://www.lawsociety.org.nz/news-a...led-misleading

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...e-bank-account

Mark Richardson is a staunch National supporter he knows how the game is played.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...tanntp#image=1
    Last edited by Aaron; 30-01-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Todd Muller has all the things necessary to be the nexnat leader imo.
    Well, he did aspire to become the President of the US and in his book when he became President of the USA he served 13 consecutive terms

So heaps of experience.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    ...Judy Collins might well be next in line, but she would be in my view quite divisive rather than bringing voters together ...
    That's what they said about Margaret Thatcher. She did OK.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    That's what they said about Margaret Thatcher. She did OK.
    Not comparable. Nowhere near as frightening as the NZ version.