sharetrader
Page 355 of 697 FirstFirst ... 255305345351352353354355356357358359365405455 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,550 of 6963
    IMO

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Up to the voters to go after Bridges - Cindy has far better things to do I suspect.
    Precisely, let him keep digging his own hole . Irrelevant to her, she is being a leader and has more then enough on her plate.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Precisely, let him keep digging his own hole . Irrelevant to her, she is being a leader and has more then enough on her plate.
    But according to you JT, Bridges was in breach of lockdown. How can he be irrelevant to your worshipped leader? Surely she needs to take firm, decisive action!
    Or maybe you were full of it all along.

Legend

Should we all be concerned at the Labour Govt's stance on where they are effectively applying subsidies ?

Where does that leave the Young in future - for example part timers in hospitality, those in their first job ?

What does that mean for their futures & future prospects ?

Is not ensuring many of the businesses who employ this segment of the population survive completely
    & totally economically shortsighted and politically reckless .. with no thought of the future ?

Under is link to a recent Australian news article, which will also be relevant to NZ:

History suggests youth unemployment will surge, pain will last a decade after coronavirus crisis

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...virus/12151668

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    Should we all be concerned at the Labour Govt's stance on where they are effectively applying subsidies ?

Where does that leave the Young in future - for example part timers in hospitality, those in their first job ?

What does that mean for their futures & future prospects ?

Is not ensuring many of the businesses who employ this segment of the population survive completely
    & totally economically shortsighted and politically reckless .. with no thought of the future ?

Under is link to a recent Australian news article, which will also be relevant to NZ:

History suggests youth unemployment will surge, pain will last a decade after coronavirus crisis

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...virus/12151668
    Sadly, this is what happens when you have economic inexperienced and incompetent leaders/ministers in charge.

To date, outside of the wage subsidy, there has been bugger all help for SMEs, especially in the tourism & accommodation, airline, hospitality and leisure sectors.

This government’s pre-occupation seems to be to expand the welfare state rather than help SMEs to survive and provide long term employment, especially for youth workers.

Takes at least 5 years to grow a lovely strong fruit tree but takes an idiot with an axe or chainsaw 1 hour or less to cut & destroy the tree. All the future fruits to come from the tree - gone.
    Last edited by Balance; 19-04-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Sadly, this is what happens when you have economic inexperienced and incompetent leaders/ministers in charge.

To date, outside of the wage subsidy, there has been bugger all help for SMEs, especially in the tourism & accommodation, airline, hospitality and leisure sectors.

This government’s pre-occupation seems to be to expand the welfare state rather than help SMEs to survive and provide long term employment, especially for youth workers.

Takes at least 5 years to grow a lovely strong fruit tree but takes an idiot with an axe or chainsaw 1 hour or less to cut & destroy the tree. All the future fruits to come from the tree - gone.
    I think you are a bit unbalanced here. While I am sure that they make mistakes (everybody does ...), NZ has one of the lowest mortality rates from this virus in the world (2.3 ppm) ... and if past experience from similar events (like Spanish flu) is right, than areas with low mortality rates will economically thrive compared to high mortality areas like e.g. many parts of Europe (Spain has e.g. 430 ppm), UK (233 ppm) and US (115 ppm).

Just for clarity - ppm are in this case the number of people who died already from COVID 19 per million people in the respective country as per yesterday (Greenwich time).

I think it would be fair to give our government a chance and acknowledge at least their achievements before you start with your usual Cindy trashing ... might help your credibility as well :
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I think you are a bit unbalanced here. While I am sure that they make mistakes (everybody does ...), NZ has one of the lowest mortality rates from this virus in the world (2.3 ppm) ... and if past experience from similar events (like Spanish flu) is right, than areas with low mortality rates will economically thrive compared to high mortality areas like e.g. many parts of Europe (Spain has e.g. 430 ppm), UK (233 ppm) and US (115 ppm).

Just for clarity - ppm are in this case the number of people who died already from COVID 19 per million people in the respective country as per yesterday (Greenwich time).

I think it would be fair to give our government a chance and acknowledge at least their achievements before you start with your usual Cindy trashing ... might help your credibility as well :
    NZ’s strict lockdown has definitely achieved the aim of relatively low infection and death rate. So kudos to the government.

Two points :

1. Adjusted for population, Australia is doing just as well - without the extreme lockdown measures we have here.

2. My gripe is that the government is doing bugger all for SME businesses. I guess I should know as I am helping with several of them - hard working couples who have spent years risking their funds and putting in the long hours to build their businesses. They are getting nothing from this government by way of relief - only zero revenues but still have to carry expenses like rent, corporate & business outgoings like rates, utility bills and interest payments.

They are expected to suffer and carry all the costs while the government takes care of wage earners (non risk takers) and increase social welfare payments.

Something stinks - when those who take risks and work hard are basically given token help.
    Last edited by Balance; 19-04-2020 at 12:48 PM.

https://www.smallbusiness.wa.gov.au/...small-business

Have a look at what the Australian government is providing by way of REAL assistance for SMEs.

Real help on almost all fronts to help them stay in business and ease their anxiety and burden - even though their lockdown still allow businesses to operate 'safely'.

In NZ, it is clear that this government has zero appreciation of the disastrous impact the strict lockdown is having on SME business owners and operators.

Eg. Commercial rentals - Zero help and relief from this government who, unlike the Australian government, is unwilling to change legislation to effect a fair deal for retailers and store keepers. They are locked out from doing business by government decree - so zero revenues - but still have to pay rent! WTF!

What you get when you have a government comprising of ministers who have never risk capital & created successful businesses.
    Last edited by Balance; 19-04-2020 at 01:33 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLcNStHTDjM

Rather rude but straight and true to the endth degree.

All governments are always in hock with big businesses and banks - so you can choose to benefit from the situation by investing accordingly - or you can rage like Vic.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    NZ’s strict lockdown has definitely achieved the aim of relatively low infection and death rate. So kudos to the government.

Two points :

1. Adjusted for population, Australia is doing just as well - without the extreme lockdown measures we have here.

2. My gripe is that the government is doing bugger all for SME businesses. I guess I should know as I am helping with several of them - hard working couples who have spent years risking their funds and putting in the long hours to build their businesses. They are getting nothing from this government by way of relief - only zero revenues but still have to carry expenses like rent, corporate & business outgoings like rates, utility bills and interest payments.

They are expected to suffer and carry all the costs while the government takes care of wage earners (non risk takers) and increase social welfare payments.

Something stinks - when those who take risks and work hard are basically given token help.
    Australia's COVID 19 death rate is a bit higher (2.7 ppm vs 2.3 ppm in NZ), but fair enough - both countries did amazingly well compared to the rest of the world.

I do agree that the government seems to be so far rather blind towards the pain of SME's vs. increasing the welfare for beneficiaries and wage earners. This is in my view a fair criticism - and it well might be something which will kill them at the next election if they don't change their attitude.

I am however not sure whether National did show in the previous crisis less bias towards their perceived clientel. Labour is now looking after the beneficiaries and basically increasing the number of them, while in the last crisis National bailed out their buddies running banks and finance companies. National used the opportunity after the GFC as well to dismantle work safety standards and labour laws resulting in increased fatality rates in all high risk occupations (e.g. forestry) and culminating in disasters like Pike River. You could argue that while Labour is killing business, National was killing people - but obviously both is highly undesirable.

Clearly - National had a different focus, but I very much doubt that their bias is any better for the country than Labour's bias. Would be nice though to have a government which is economically competent as well as looking after their people. Not sure, though I see who would run this government.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Australia's COVID 19 death rate is a bit higher (2.7 ppm vs 2.3 ppm in NZ), but fair enough - both countries did amazingly well compared to the rest of the world.

I do agree that the government seems to be so far rather blind towards the pain of SME's vs. increasing the welfare for beneficiaries and wage earners. This is in my view a fair criticism - and it well might be something which will kill them at the next election if they don't change their attitude.

I am however not sure whether National did show in the previous crisis less bias towards their perceived clientel. Labour is now looking after the beneficiaries and basically increasing the number of them, while in the last crisis National bailed out their buddies running banks and finance companies. National used the opportunity after the GFC as well to dismantle work safety standards and labour laws resulting in increased fatality rates in all high risk occupations (e.g. forestry) and culminating in disasters like Pike River. You could argue that while Labour is killing business, National was killing people - but obviously both is highly undesirable.

Clearly - National had a different focus, but I very much doubt that their bias is any better for the country than Labour's bias. Would be nice though to have a government which is economically competent as well as looking after their people. Not sure, though I see who would run this government.
    Being compassionate is relatively easy. Dealing with the aftermath of economic destruction will be horrific.