sharetrader
Page 359 of 697 FirstFirst ... 259309349355356357358359360361362363369409459 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,590 of 6963
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    That's for you to answer surely as you bring up the 'rumor'?

Same deal if I write that US deaths are a lot higher if those who died in Jan & Feb of flu were tested for cover-19, right? Onus on me to provide the proof.
    Proof of what? I made no claims whatsoever; I merely asked a question. I'm looking for the answer. I thought someone on this site may know. Anyway I can't follow your example - obviously your nonsensical, hypothetical premise 'US deaths are a lot higher if those who died in Jan & Feb of flu were tested for cover-19' can't be correct. Death toll doesn't change no matter whether they were tested, shot, poisoned, or Kenworthed. So they couldn't possibly be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Proof of what? I made no claims whatsoever; I merely asked a question. I'm looking for the answer. I thought someone on this site may know. Anyway I can't follow your example - obviously your nonsensical, hypothetical premise 'US deaths are a lot higher if those who died in Jan & Feb of flu were tested for cover-19' can't be correct. Death toll doesn't change no matter whether they were tested, shot, poisoned, or Kenworthed. So they couldn't possibly be higher.
    Nonsensical? Hypothetical?

Many people in the States died in Jan & Feb of the flu (as in seasonal flu) and the point has been made that as the cover-19 virus was already in the US then, many of those could have been because of cover-19, not the flu. Here's the article :

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/u...ndercount.html

"In Virginia, a funeral director prepared the remains of three people after health workers cautioned her that they each had tested positive for the coronavirus. But only one of the three had the virus noted on the death certificate."

Proof of what? I made no claims whatsoever; I merely asked a question. I'm looking for the answer. I thought someone on this site may know.
    But are they? Rumour has it that although their death rate is reported at 50% more than us per capita it excludes rest home deaths. If correct the difference could be huge.
    You made an assertion (based upon a rumor) to try and counter the fact that Australia has actually smashed their curve without the 'strictest' lockdown in the world like NZ.

Legend

Nonsensical? Hypothetical?

Many people in the States died in Jan & Feb of the flu (as in seasonal flu) and the point has been made that as the cover-19 virus was already in the US then, many of those could have been because of cover-19, not the flu. Here's the article :

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/u...ndercount.html

"In Virginia, a funeral director prepared the remains of three people after health workers cautioned her that they each had tested positive for the coronavirus. But only one of the three had the virus noted on the death certificate."
    But that doesn't tell us about Australia.

But that doesn't tell us about Australia.
    The figures are as they are already published.

If you want to debate them, up to you to prove otherwise.

Legend

The figures are as they are already published.

If you want to debate them, up to you to prove otherwise.
    I have no desire to debate them. I do not even have information to debate with. I simply asked a question, and I have no idea how to prove a question.

Guru

I have no desire to debate them. I do not even have information to debate with. I simply asked a question, and I have no idea how to prove a question.
    It does sound a bit like a Trumpism - "I heard, but I could be wrong, but I heard xxx"
    Get it out there and let it run.

Default Food for thought

Maybe put Australia aside for now and look at a country with a much more similar population.

B4E79C18-CDFD-42D7-90C0-46B048800609.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Maybe put Australia aside for now and look at a country with a much more similar population.
    Nobody is disputing that NZ has done very well and we should all be very happy with how well from a health (no of infections and deaths) perspective.

But do we need to have the 'strictest' lockdown regime in the world to achieve it?

Australia, Taiwan and HK show we did not have to.

Why do we always have to compare against the those worse off than us? Can we as a country not aim higher and aspire to be truly the best?

And to be the best, you need to be objective and compare with the best.
    Last edited by Balance; 21-04-2020 at 11:27 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post

B4E79C18-CDFD-42D7-90C0-46B048800609.jpg
    Certainly don't put it aside. The stats are vital if we are to ever form the proposed Australasian bubble. That would be huge for us, and of benefit to Oz as well. I have no doubt it would save the motel industry for a start. At present there are more than 20 million Aussies who can't go to the regular spots, Bali, Fiji etc. With no options they would flock here - and the traditional skier market that floods Queenstown and Wanaka ever winter would be preserved.
    Endless possibilities.