sharetrader
Page 372 of 697 FirstFirst ... 272322362368369370371372373374375376382422472 ... LastLast
Results 3,711 to 3,720 of 6963

“And yes, the Government will eventually have to answer for all the damage to the economy that it has unnecessarily inflicted with a too-restrictive lockdown.

The lockdown might be justified, but total economic shut down and the length of it will come under scrutiny.

Most likely National will bounce back and most likely voters will again believe the narrative that it is the party best suited to fixing a shattered economy.”

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/n...ectid=12327334

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    The Media whiners are probably too busy cuddled up around the Media Communal Wishing Well, hoping for another visit from Robertson to throw in another large Govt Donation - that not one would dare break wind or burp to disturb the chances..
    On the contrary I thnik there's too much news on the 'opposition'. I don't really care what simon or goldsmith thinks about a policy but they make us hear it anyway. They are not the government and its not quite relevent what they think.

Advanced Member

Interesting to take a look back at this , pity Twyford didn't ask himself the same questions when he had the mandate to fix it .....
    https://www.interest.co.nz/property/...sees-challenge
    Remember the howling from Labour when National was using motels .....
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...after-lockdown

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    On the contrary I thnik there's too much news on the 'opposition'. I don't really care what simon or goldsmith thinks about a policy but they make us hear it anyway. They are not the government and its not quite relevent what they think.
    Do yoiu really think so ? This Government shut down parliament and runs the country by a small committee. After 9/11 and the Chch/Kaikoura earthquakes previous Governments called extraordinary sessions of parliament to debate their actions. After all we are a parliamentary democracy. The current way this country is being run is scary, with the only focus on COVID numbers and everything else left to crash and burn. People that do not agree with St Cindy and her followers are attacked and rubbished in conventional and social media. This is not healthy.
    The World will look back in a year or two and I am not sure the NZ reaction to this crisis will get a high mark overall with our huge unemployment and enconomic ruin.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...n-is-unhealthy

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Do yoiu really think so ? This Government shut down parliament and runs the country by a small committee. After 9/11 and the Chch/Kaikoura earthquakes previous Governments called extraordinary sessions of parliament to debate their actions. After all we are a parliamentary democracy. The current way this country is being run is scary, with the only focus on COVID numbers and everything else left to crash and burn. People that do not agree with St Cindy and her followers are attacked and rubbished in conventional and social media. This is not healthy.
    The World will look back in a year or two and I am not sure the NZ reaction to this crisis will get a high mark overall with our huge unemployment and enconomic ruin.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...n-is-unhealthy
    Agreed. This is a completely different situation than normal. There are bills being proposed, including one to nullify various aspects of the Human Rights Act, and it is extremely important that we hear the opposition's view points as well. if anything, this is a time where would should be paying far more attention to what the Government and opposition are saying.

You don't see a difference between emergencies that were short duration events (over in minutes essentially), and the current pandemic, which is an on-going thing? And the fact that the MPs and their staff, and other parliamentary staff travelling will in fact be a vector for spreading covid-19, unlike earthquakes which aren't contagious last time I checked.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    You don't see a difference between emergencies that were short duration events (over in minutes essentially), and the current pandemic, which is an on-going thing? And the fact that the MPs and their staff, and other parliamentary staff travelling will in fact be a vector for spreading covid-19, unlike earthquakes which aren't contagious last time I checked.
    Not at all. Your argument seems rather bizarre. Supermarket staff and customers seem to be doing ok without spreading covid-19 so I am pretty sure the more important task of governing this country can be done without becoming a "vector".

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Not at all. Your argument seems rather bizarre. Supermarket staff and customers seem to be doing ok without spreading covid-19 so I am pretty sure the more important task of governing this country can be done without becoming a "vector".
    Supermarkets prove the foolishness of the severity of the lockdown levels. They haven't been a hotbed of infection and yet they are accessed by every sector of society on a regular basis.

sigh, the regular legislative program is on hold until parliament resumes, the only parliamentary actions in happening at the moment are temporary measures related to the pandemic, and they did setup a special committee including Simon bloody bridges to review this stuff.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    sigh, the regular legislative program is on hold until parliament resumes, the only parliamentary actions in happening at the moment are temporary measures related to the pandemic, and they did setup a special committee including Simon bloody bridges to review this stuff.
    Why the sigh?
    This government had no mandate to spend tens of billions in the manner that they have. No mandate to curtail civil rights in the manner that they have. (this is a statement of fact, not a criticism). They rely solely on parts of the Health Act and Civil Defence Act to move to a State of Emergency.

It is imperative that they are held to close scrutiny through this process. A very small number of people have made decisions to spend billions of dollars with no mandate other than they happened to be in the hotseat at the time.