sharetrader
Page 381 of 697 FirstFirst ... 281331371377378379380381382383384385391431481 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,810 of 6963

Default Central vs Local Government

Just shows these guys can't get their thinking outside their own bubble...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...s-rates-relief

I don't think Bridges will survive after the election if they keep him in. I'm not sure either what good getting rid of him now would do either. Its kind of the same conundrum that Labour was in post Helen Clark. They had Goff and Shearer right after who were perhaps decent administrators but mostly there to keep it warm for someone to really take the bull by the horns.

At this point, they get rid of Bridges and its likely that Amy Adams or Judith Collins steps in. Not sure if that gets them in a better position than they are now. I think Adams keeps the party more moderate, while Judith Collins will see a departure further right. Either way, they are up against it.

There was talk of the former Air NZ CEO Christopher Luxon and that would be a real roll of the dice. It would depend on the public warms to him I think. A highly paid former CEO who is apart of the 1% could go either way depending on how he speaks and presents himself. It worked for Key, not sure how it does here.

Quote Originally Posted by value_investor View Post
    I don't think Bridges will survive after the election if they keep him in. I'm not sure either what good getting rid of him now would do either. Its kind of the same conundrum that Labour was in post Helen Clark. They had Goff and Shearer right after who were perhaps decent administrators but mostly there to keep it warm for someone to really take the bull by the horns.

At this point, they get rid of Bridges and its likely that Amy Adams or Judith Collins steps in. Not sure if that gets them in a better position than they are now. I think Adams keeps the party more moderate, while Judith Collins will see a departure further right. Either way, they are up against it.

There was talk of the former Air NZ CEO Christopher Luxon and that would be a real roll of the dice. It would depend on the public warms to him I think. A highly paid former CEO who is apart of the 1% could go either way depending on how he speaks and presents himself. It worked for Key, not sure how it does here.
    Somebody will emerge and then, obtain profile and shout up in the polls. That’s how politics work.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by value_investor View Post

Amy Adams announced months ago she's quitting politics at the end of this term !

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Well....we have an opportunity later this year to get a new government....if that is what the collective “we” want.
    It’s not so far away. Be interesting to see the outcome.

Can it be deferred if C-19 is still swirling around Kiwiland later this year ?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Just shows these guys can't get their thinking outside their own bubble...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...s-rates-relief

Taken generally, this is also probably very true too -

"A prominent developer whose tenants have been hit hard by the coronavirus lockdown has accused ministers of being "divorced from reality"

Where does this usually land a Govt & such Ministers in good time ?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Amy Adams announced months ago she's quitting politics at the end of this term !
    She did - but who knows whats going to happen, maybe she changes her stance if we nicely ask her?

I think with Amy Adams at the helm National would have a real chance, she would be able to find a center right majority. "Crusher" Judith on the other hand is only attractive to the hard right in this country and will never master a majority.

Put Judith at Nationals helm and I vote first time in my life for Labour.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Legend

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...gent-lawmaking

"Parliament passes the wrong law in an afternoon of urgent lawmaking"

"New Zealand's Parliament is famous for being able to pass laws quickly in a crisis.

But on Thursday it might have moved too quickly, after an error meant that the wrong piece of legislation was introduced to Parliament and then passed within hours, accidentally bringing into law a multi-billion dollar loan scheme.

The bill meant to "throw a lifeline" to small and medium businesses and was passed through all stages of the lawmaking process in an afternoon.

A bill like this would usually take six months to become law."

Legend

and so the widening Spiral of Lay-offs & Redundancies starts to unfold ...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/121...ransport-world

"The Transport World redundancies follow the Gore District Council this week saying it had issued redundancy notices to 17- part-time staff employed at the Gore Aquatic Centre and MLT Event Centre which were both currently closed in Alert Level 3.

Ngai Tahu said on April 23 it was considering laying off 300 workers which would more than halve Ngai Tahu Tourism's 500-strong workforce, such was the impact Covid-19 was having on tourism."

more at link

What would a loan solve for these Employers that a Govt C-19 "Make good on their Losses Grants" wouldn't ?

The reality is that there is very little, in anything, the government can to stop many businesses from closing. They have been rendered unviable as a consequence of the pandemic & the associated response, even previously highly profitable ones.