sharetrader
Page 455 of 697 FirstFirst ... 355405445451452453454455456457458459465505555 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,550 of 6963

I do wonder if Labours massive lead in poling may be at risk of eroding substantially over the next three months. This morning I read the excellent stuff article on the actual and pending unemployment surge confronting thousands of people. it was disturbing and sobering reading. The official release of current unemployment data is due in early August. Inevitable there will be a cohort of angry, distressed people, many of whom have never experienced unemployment before. Those still in work will have a very high sense of precarity. On top of this the recent BLM demonstrations will alienate many older voters, especially when demands mutate to change city names etc They could well reflect their sense of disapproval and unease by voting for Winston
    As always I am interested in others opinions.

"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

Rahm Emanuel
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 14-06-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    I do wonder if Labours massive lead in poling may be at risk of eroding substantially over the next three months. This morning I read the excellent stuff article on the actual and pending unemployment surge confronting thousands of people. it was disturbing and sobering reading. The official release of current unemployment data is due in early August. Inevitable there will be a cohort of angry, distressed people, many of whom have never experienced unemployment before. Those still in work will have a very high sense of precarity. On top of this the recent BLM demonstrations will alienate many older voters, especially when demands mutate to change city names etc They could well reflect their sense of disapproval and unease by voting for Winston

"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

Rahm Emanuel
    They were ahead before the crisis and massively ahead as a combined coalition. The opposition isn't up to much and returning expats can vote and appreciate our world leading response given they have been to other places maybe even know other languages. A response like you suggest will alienate these voters along with the social conservatism of many who seem to be attracted to the Nats.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 14-06-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Dilettante

Rahm Emanuel
    I've read the Stuff articles too and agree it is an excellent yet sobering read. Some of the personal stories that have and will come out are very sad indeed and many of the people that will be unemployed as a result of this pandemic are in many cases people that have never had to think about unemployment before and were, as little as 3 months ago, in good income jobs that they thought were safe. Sadly in many cases we see both income earners in households with young families losing their jobs.
    This is a very serious situation for all of us and I wish a cross party political solution/goal could be found for a major effort in tackling what is ahead of us. But that is unlikely to happen.

I can also see this craziness related to BLM taking place in NZ with huge push to erase NZs shared history, becoming a very dividing issue and sadly, I think it will be a generational and racial division that could turn very ugly with the extremes on both sides standing up and going to the fore. I don't like what we are seeing with this issue.

I have little doubt that once the COVID issue settles fully and we get on with our new normal lives, there will be a huge debate about how to share the huge cost in front of us, because after all, all this crazy expenditure and economic losses need to be paid for. It will be a debate between the haves and have nots. Again it will not be a pleasant discussion.

Both the major parties need to take a responsible approach to these issues and try to avoid divisive policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Unfortunately Fran is not unbiased, she frequently is barbed and undermining towards our PM and has an agenda i believe. The last line offers another view but wouldn't suit Frans headline agenda. And looks like Fyfe and Robertson had a good connection too

"A spokesperson said that the Prime Minister "has publicly acknowledged and thanked him".
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12339795

Putting a lie to what the spokesperson said.

One of the many lies put out by Comrade Cindy to dose down unfavourable news and developments - and eagerly lapped up by the one-eyed labourites.

Oh well, we know what happens to the one eyed in the kingdom of the two eye (+ the third eye).
    Last edited by Balance; 15-06-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Both the major parties need to take a responsible approach to these issues and try to avoid divisive policies.
    https://www.interest.co.nz/currencie...-listen-engage

When a government is breeding social welfare beneficiaries to bolster its voter base and ignoring the real job & wealth creators, there is only one way for the NZ economy (and hence, society) to go. And it's not up.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    ... When a government is breeding social welfare beneficiaries to bolster its voter base and ignoring the real job & wealth creators, there is only one way for the NZ economy (and hence, society) to go. And it's not up.
    The key word these days, here and around the western world, is equality. And that generally means equality of outcomes, because equality of opportunity is already widespread.

They are very different.

Let's remember the old saying, still relevant - the harder I work, the luckier I get.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12339795

Putting a lie to what the spokesperson said.

One of the many lies put out by Comrade Cindy to dose down unfavourable news and developments - and eagerly lapped up by the one-eyed labourites.

Oh well, we know what happens to the one eyed in the kingdom of the two eye (+ the third eye).
    Good positive article .That spokesperson needs to go to the naughty room.

Advanced Member

Rahm Emanuel
    Well....its not just that BLM, I really really don't want a LAB / Green government...or, maybe worse, a Labour one. So yes...I am strongly considering a vote for Winnie. In the absence of a credible alternative. Bit of water to go under the bridge yet.

Guru

Labour has released its list. Phil Minister of Failures Twyford has gone up a notch! Apparently he is the 4th most capable person they have! What depth they have in the talent pool.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12339921

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    The key word these days, here and around the western world, is equality. And that generally means equality of outcomes, because equality of opportunity is already widespread.
    No it isn't. Young people are getting taxed heavily with PAYE, student loan repayments and GST while others aren't at all. If you want a good future for NZ why is that acceptable?