sharetrader
Page 47 of 697 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147547 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Well I thought the article was great, gave a bit of insight into where NZ is heading from here. Blackcap, you have to think about the poor Labour supporters who have been on the sidelines for 9 years and were feeling powerless, now they have a bit of spring in their step. Time for the Nats to to a bit of navel-gazing themselves, and rue the day they were put out to pasture for probably nine years.

Sure, there are still some local Nat MPs and list MPs, being paid to run their offices and help out their constituents. But they won't get to work the levers, and fully populate all the councils and boards around the place. So yes, you might well puke at that, but you should get used to it - National is out in the cold for a while.
    Nine years? You can't be serious. I guess I give you that Jacinda is trying hard. Pregnant PM modelling in Vogue - certainly something for the eye and absolutely novelty value, but whether this is sufficient for 9 years? Doubt it.

Agree as well that she seems to be better in unifying people than all of the previous Labour leaders I remember (too many to count) - but so far we haven't seen the proof that she is as well able to deliver. Jacinda effect alone won't last a year and certainly not nine.

You should not forget that National got after 3 terms in government still more votes than Labour ever mustered. Not a lot of voters Labour can afford to lose, but they will. Honeymoon is already over - unions got their knives out and demand to slaughter some absolutely well functioning schools on the altar of unionism. Will go down with the effected children and parents.

Talking about unions - just wait for the next pay rounds. Strikes are not always popular, but it must be payback time for supporting the PM, isn't it?

As well - I hear the funds for further lolly scrambles are already gone. Will make it harder to keep the voters in future aligned. Was not enough anyway, only old Winston changed the balance, and whether he will add another term - who knows?

Minor coalition partners always shrink after the first term under MMP (Winston or not). How is this Labour government positioned if Winston (or whoever) First and the Greenies both drop by say 2 to 3 percent each? Oops - you mean that's it already? Well, maybe you should better prepare for only 2 and a bit years left ...

Enjoy the time while it lasts ... ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

... and last not least - remember the old rule: Whoever goes into a coalition with Winston loses the next election . Labor is no exception in this regard.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Well I thought the article was great, gave a bit of insight into where NZ is heading from here. Blackcap, you have to think about the poor Labour supporters who have been on the sidelines for 9 years and were feeling powerless, now they have a bit of spring in their step.

I don't think it will be long before Twyford, Lees-Galloway and/or Hipkins knock the spring out of Labour's step. And if they don't, there's a couple of odd-ball greens who will.
    Strange as it may seem, NZ First are probably least likely to damage the cozy arrangement.

IMO

That sure is an old rule BP, irrelevant in this time, you can keep living in the past but adapt or perish is a good motto for the times .
    Great to see mental health and addiction workers are going to get the same rise that caregivers get, National were just so uncaring and meanspirited there. People getting closer to a living wage will lift the whole country's wellbeing, confidence and activity, spending more and increase productivity too, a win /win at last.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I don't think it will be long before Twyford, Lees-Galloway and/or Hipkins knock the spring out of Labour's step. And if they don't, there's a couple of odd-ball greens who will.
    Strange as it may seem, NZ First are probably least likely to damage the cozy arrangement.
    How long do you think that "stability" will last with them polling at 2-3% ? I give it 18 months

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    How long do you think that "stability" will last with them polling at 2-3% ? I give it 18 months
    Aside from the party, will Winston himself last 18 months?

IMO

So far so very very good no probs there seeing the coalition all the way they know they have everything to gain by doing so, a no brainer, and very wishful thinking and thats fair enough too.

Whats more int to me is how well national are going to deal with the leadership change and how messy it may get between contestants and then the reshuffling and performance from there. National are in an even more vulnerable position now ,and where will Bills base voters end up.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 16-02-2018 at 10:37 PM.

IMO

Great stuff, go for it Judy and Amy

Adams entourage 'broke rules'

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Great stuff, go for it Judy and Amy

Adams entourage 'broke rules'
    It's quite amusing that the Adams, Bridges, Collins contest has been cleverly outed as ABC: anyone but Collins (comments below article).

Legend

Audrey Young on the leadership contest. It pictures Collins as more right-wing (wants to sort the RMA yet again apparently, or is a lobby group bending her ear?) than Bridges or Adams. The latter two seen as the front-runners at this stage, in view of the caucus decision to be made.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11996196

Collins certainly wants to appear "Strong and Decisive" but is "Aggressive" more apt?

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politi...h-collins.html