sharetrader
Page 490 of 697 FirstFirst ... 390440480486487488489490491492493494500540590 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,900 of 6963
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12343897

Yesterday the Greens unveiled its first major election policy, which would tax the wealthy more to fund a payment of at least $325 a week for anyone not in fulltime work.

A wealth tax of 1 per cent would apply to "net assets worth over $1 million" and 2 per cent for net assets over $2m. These would only apply to the value above those thresholds and would discount the value of, for example, mortgages held by landlords owning a suite of rental properties.

Green Party co-leader Marama Davidson said this morning that the policy was a priority but wouldn't say if it might be a bottom line in any post-election coalition negotiations.

She said older people or retirees who had assets but lacked cash could defer payments.

We understand that many older people may have a home, for example, worth more than $1m and it is paid off, they don't have a mortgage, but perhaps they're living on Super or perhaps they're moving to a retirement home and wish to put their home into a trust - you can defer payments," she told RNZ.

"The trust also is liable for a wealth tax, but again, it is shared among all beneficiaries and trustees, so again only if each individual has more than $1m net wealth worth then we are asking them to chip in at 1 per cent over and above that $1m.

This has to be the first tax proposal where the co-leader of the party proposing tax policy with a new tax then suggests how to avoid that new tax with some tax planning? Arguably, the folk where there is arguably more to derive from the wealth tax are going to be better able to participate in tax planning than someone who is trying to pay their house off in Auckland and has some Kiwisaver?
    That just might see the Green party buried. It's extremely harsh and will hit many of their own supporters.

Guru

How can you get a policy through when you can only work with one side.

This applies to Seymour too. Maybe if he plays his cards right he can be associate minister of statistics . Even if they have 20 seats. Dave will never support labour so is in no position to demand real policy.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 30-06-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Guru

IF the media is not biased how do you explain headlines like this:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...h-cant-contact

Who cares if they have been through their managed isolation. and stuff is pretty moderate/sensible compared to the nz herald and esp Newstalkzb

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post

Who cares if they have been through their managed isolation. and stuff is pretty moderate/sensible compared to the nz herald and esp Newstalkzb
    What is biased about that headline? To me it reads like a fact.

Guru

What's wrong with that headline? These are people they are desperate to contact because of their earlier lax testing.

If you want to examine ridiculously partisan reporting....examine the Cindy lovefest post her appointment to lead the Labour Party and the subsequent 24 months. Cracks started to appear when the media realised Cindy's government was less transparent than previous administrations (despite claiming the high ground in this regard) and were taking longer over Official Information Requests and avoiding them if at all possible.

Advanced Member

Pretty shocking if they didn't take down enough details to be able to contact that many people . What chance did we have with a big breakout of their contact tracing working ....this shows it as a total shambles ...maybe the 367 were all "homeless' so gave false details .....

Guru

Is Panda-NZ really the only apologist Labour has?

JT, El Z, Westerly, where are you in Labour's time of need? Or have you woken up and smelt the coffee?

The media smell blood....when that happens they are a rabid pack of dogs....no matter who you are....Cindy look out. She knows this. Hence the Social Distancing from Dr Bloomfield. No more cosy media conferences alongside the Cynical One. No...it's off down the road to a room that is obviously not designed for media briefings. Anything to put distance between her and failure. I would bet she is already sounding out a future role at the UN as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Surely Labour will drop their agreement with The Greens after their unworkable, naive and insane wealth tax proposal. Or are they locked in for a specified term?
    $1 million may only be a round of drinks to you and I Fungus Pudding, but to most Kiwis its a serious chunk of change. I'll gladly pay my share of the wealth tax if it is spent wisely. My main concern is the younger generation. Merit based social mobility used to be a strength in our economy, I know longer think that is the case.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    $1 million may only be a round of drinks to you and I Fungus Pudding, but to most Kiwis its a serious chunk of change. I'll gladly pay my share of the wealth tax if it is spent wisely. My main concern is the younger generation. Merit based social mobility used to be a strength in our economy, I know longer think that is the case.
    Really Arthur? Tax is generally a concept that you pay it once on either something earned or a transaction. The Greens want to make it an annual event based on what you have. You will already have paid tax on income etc...but if your assets total more than their arbitrary amount they will sting you again...and again...and again. Paying tax on the same thing over and over.

It's one of the reasons Local Council Rates are called Rates. They are not meant to be a tax as only the Crown can set a tax.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Is Panda-NZ really the only apologist Labour has?

JT, El Z, Westerly, where are you in Labour's time of need? Or have you woken up and smelt the coffee?

The media smell blood....when that happens they are a rabid pack of dogs....no matter who you are....Cindy look out. She knows this. Hence the Social Distancing from Dr Bloomfield. No more cosy media conferences alongside the Cynical One. No...it's off down the road to a room that is obviously not designed for media briefings. Anything to put distance between her and failure. I would bet she is already sounding out a future role at the UN as we speak.
    Listen to the expert Mr bloomfield and others which you seemed to fawn over a couple of days ago. The risk is minor and not a priority compared to other more important things atm. Though long term every gap should be fixed but it's about making good priorities.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 30-06-2020 at 01:14 AM.