sharetrader
Page 536 of 697 FirstFirst ... 36436486526532533534535536537538539540546586636 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,360 of 6963
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    How about a few numbers rather than there are "far too many" There are not many dairy farms close to Auckland. So asking someone who may have dependents to shift to some rural area in another part of the country is not going to get too many takers. Very easy to say pathetic and lazy attitude but most rural jobs do not come with accomodation, require a vehicle for transport and so on.
    As for crewing on a fishing boat good luck with that.

westerly
    Right here is the exact attitude we are describing. I've made a career of fishing so find your comment strange to say the least, particularly implying as you do, that its preferable to stay on the dole. A job that pays reasonable money for hard manual low skilled labour for green hands, free food and free accommodation but young Kiwis today simple are not prepared to make sacrifices such as being away for a few weeks, when they can sit on the dole and do nothing. Shows how lazy and pathetic we as a country have become.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Right here is the exact attitude we are describing. I've made a career of fishing so find your comment strange to say the least, particularly implying as you do, that its preferable to stay on the dole. A job that pays reasonable money for hard manual low skilled labour for green hands, free food and free accommodation but young Kiwis today simple are not prepared to make sacrifices such as being away for a few weeks, when they can sit on the dole and do nothing. Shows how lazy and pathetic we as a country have become.
    Once a beneficiary, always a beneficiary mindset - that comes across loud & clear from the Labourites here.

I will probably get banned for this, but if I do so be it. It will have been worth it.

FU Balance.

(Sorry moka. Sometimes you just need to tell it like it is)

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Once a beneficiary, always a beneficiary mindset - that comes across loud & clear from the Labourites here.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 30-07-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I will probably get banned for this, but if I do so be it. It will have been worth it.

FU Balance.

(Sorry moka. Sometimes you just need to tell it like it is)
    I think you will find that Balance was talking about a mindset. There is nothing wrong with being a beneficiary. Benefits were established to help those out temporarily in need when that arose. (with the emphasis on temporary) It was never the intent that that need became a lifestyle. That is what Balance is arguing against I feel.
    If you feel that benefits should be a lifestyle choice then I am appalled and staggered at that mindset.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Oh dear what has become of you Balance? You use to post some good stuff but your election posts are becoming more and more unhinged. Maybe you should change your name to Unbalanced

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If I was unemployed I wouldn't take a fishing boat job - I get seasick!
    I wouldn't expect to be forced into one either.

Some of the measures being suggested here make me think of the Great Depression job creation stuff - seems some people's mindset hasn't moved past this.

Each case will be different - forcing a single mother to work on a remote dairy farm probably isn't a good idea (though it may work for some), think issues around child care etc.

At the end of the day the numbers aren't actually that great. Figures now bandied about look for 5-8% unemployment rather than the 15-20% (or more) talked about in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post

Some of the measures being suggested here make me think of the Great Depression job creation stuff - seems some people's mindset hasn't moved past this.

Each case will be different - forcing a single mother to work on a remote dairy farm probably isn't a good idea (though it may work for some), think issues around child care etc.

At the end of the day the numbers aren't actually that great. Figures now bandied about look for 5-8% unemployment rather than the 15-20% (or more) talked about in the past.
    Just move around and see the jobs being done by workers on temporary visas - I actually know quite a few of them & some of them are employed by business contacts of mine :

- Shop assistants
    - Cleaners
    - Petrol Station Attendants
    - Supermarket staff
    - Construction workers
    - Fast food staff
    - Fruit pickers
    - Restaurant staff

Plenty of jobs around so there's absolutely no excuse about having to stray out of town etc etc in search of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    Oh dear what has become of you Balance? You use to post some good stuff but your election posts are becoming more and more unhinged. Maybe you should change your name to Unbalanced
    You obviously cannot read the excuses and moans & pains from the Labourites here when the word 'work' rather than benefits is mentioned.

For that, I am sorry for you.

I haven't seen any comments specifically advocating that single mothers work on remote dairy farms. The point appears to be that those capable of undertaking a job, whether they like it or not, should be. Your example would place them into a category that potentially wouldn't be able to, so I don't see that it invalidates the premise.
    The signs still point towards 15%+ as subsidies are withdrawn, and the global economic beings to contract. We'll have some updates later tonight from the US.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    I haven't seen any comments specifically advocating that single mothers work on remote dairy farms. The point appears to be that those capable of undertaking a job, whether they like it or not, should be. Your example would place them into a category that potentially wouldn't be able to, so I don't see that it invalidates the premise.

The signs still point towards 15%+ as subsidies are withdrawn, and the global economic beings to contract. We'll have some updates later tonight from the US.
    I agree that those who can should - but it needs to be looked at case by case.
    People here make blanket statements.

As for the unemployment - sure there is more to come when the subsidies come off (you can't keep propping up unviable business forever) but I haven't seen the 15% bandied around for a long time now.
    If you have a projection of that please share.