sharetrader
Page 552 of 697 FirstFirst ... 52452502542548549550551552553554555556562602652 ... LastLast
Results 5,511 to 5,520 of 6963

Deleted deleted
    Last edited by Balance; 07-08-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Advanced Member

Someone was reminding me of that unfortunate business around the dodgy expenses claims & lack of integrity by the CEO & the ANZ being caught out ripping off its customers with unwanted products while John Key was Chairman.

Most unfortunate business that & possibly in some way connected with why so many people think John Key's advice to be taken with a grain of salt & not the best person to be giving advice about what's best for NZ for them.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Someone was reminding me of that unfortunate business around the dodgy expenses claims & lack of integrity by the CEO & the ANZ being caught out ripping off its customers with unwanted products while John Key was Chairman.

Most unfortunate business that & possibly in some way connected with why so many people think John Key's advice to be taken with a grain of salt & not the best person to be giving advice about what's best for NZ for them.
    At the Auckland conference a couple of days ago, Helen Clark was saying pretty much the same things needed to be done as John Key did. Of course she wasn't directly critical of her protege but agreed that the current situation is unsustainable economically ! Maybe the people you say don't listen to Key will listen to Clark !!

Guru

There is a reason he is often referred to as Shonkey. But political meme's abound.

Ha, load of insubstantial waffle, obviously not true, from John & National's new strategy to use ex politicians like Key to try & get some hits on Jacinda Adern.

The economic catastrophe National were counting on & was supposed too have arrived immediately post lockdown, hasn't happened yet.

The economy was going gang busters prior to the Covid pandemic, thank you Grant Robertson, & things are going much better now than most banking economists expected.
    This is your gang busters economy? Slowest GDP growth since 2013?

https://www.interest.co.nz/news/1041...quarter-6-year

"New Zealand is entering a major downturn on the back of annual economic growth falling to a six-year low, as expected.
    Gross domestic product (GDP) growth slowed to 1.8% year-on-year in the December 2019 quarter, according to the latest Statistics New Zealand figures.
    Annual GDP growth hadn’t been this sluggish since the December 2013 quarter. It fell from 2.3% in the September 2019 quarter."

Amazing how well Comrade Cindy has trained her delusionary the woke pixie dusted sheep to mouth garbage like it is sweet honey!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    This is your gang busters economy? Slowest GDP growth since 2013?

https://www.interest.co.nz/news/1041...quarter-6-year

"New Zealand is entering a major downturn on the back of annual economic growth falling to a six-year low, as expected.
    Gross domestic product (GDP) growth slowed to 1.8% year-on-year in the December 2019 quarter, according to the latest Statistics New Zealand figures.
    Annual GDP growth hadn’t been this sluggish since the December 2013 quarter. It fell from 2.3% in the September 2019 quarter."

Amazing how well Comrade Cindy has trained her delusionary the woke pixie dusted sheep to mouth garbage like it is sweet honey!
    To be fair to Cindy, (and I do not like her), our GDP the last 5 years has been built on immigration. Nothing else. I went to a Forbar presentation a few days ago where it showed that immigration was the dominant driver of GDP the last 5 years. Take that out and it would have been just above flat. So 1.8% with little to no immigration and covid restrictions is pretty good in my book.

The Kid

Interesting article by Bernard Hickey. "This election's argument over who will repay government debt faster is a dangerous and pointless replay of a 30-year old debate rendered obsolete by today's financial facts."

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/what-we-d...sion=true&s=09

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by IAK View Post
    Interesting article by Bernard Hickey. "This election's argument over who will repay government debt faster is a dangerous and pointless replay of a 30-year old debate rendered obsolete by today's financial facts."

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/what-we-d...sion=true&s=09
    Good article. Thanks for posting, IAK.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    To be fair to Cindy, (and I do not like her), our GDP the last 5 years has been built on immigration. Nothing else. I went to a Forbar presentation a few days ago where it showed that immigration was the dominant driver of GDP the last 5 years. Take that out and it would have been just above flat. So 1.8% with little to no immigration and covid restrictions is pretty good in my book.
    Yep it was Immigration without adequate infrastructure planning to cater for the resultant population increase.

The difficult decisions on how to get more capital to fund investment to boost labour productivity rather than inflating the price of land were avoided by both left and right. Instead we got to keep for so long the restrictive RMA, a supply of cheap labour and real estate remaining the most tax-efficient pension scheme for those able to afford it.

The challenge now may be to find ways of finding how value wrapped up in NZ’s expensive land could somehow be unlocked to boost investment, R&D and the economy...without creating a destabilising real estate price crash.

A $64,000 question for the post-Covid recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Not true. Check out the immigration numbers in 2019.