sharetrader
Page 580 of 697 FirstFirst ... 80480530570576577578579580581582583584590630680 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,800 of 6963
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Rental reform that is already seeing the least desirable tenants having rental agreements cancelled and nowhere for them to go as private landlords will no longer be taking the risk of having them and the Government does not have social housing available with waiting lists already longer than ever before and Kiwibuild a joke. A complete and utter failure from this Government on all housing related policies
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/122...n-invercargill
    I agree to an extent. NZ residential rental reform should have been part of a comprehensive raft of housing reforms, extending from taxation to social housing provision. Just concentrating on one or two aspects creates other shortcomings.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Yep. Still no engagement or defence from the Labourites on this issue.

I don't know if the Nats keep an eye on this thread but it is obviously Labour's achille's heel. No amount of pixie dusting Jacindamania can protect her from this one. The depth of the hole is entirely of her own making. The Nats need to hammer them on a daily basis with this.
    By replying does this mean I'm a 'Labourite'?
    I'm not - but I'm not sure what the issue is as there is no outcome to date.
    Nats should hammer them on this, but at the same time provide what they would do. Do they have an answer?
    From what I read here it seems a cut and dried issue but, as usual, the reality is a bit more nuanced.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    By replying does this mean I'm a 'Labourite'?
    I'm not - but I'm not sure what the issue is as there is no outcome to date.
    Nats should hammer them on this, but at the same time provide what they would do. Do they have an answer?
    From what I read here it seems a cut and dried issue but, as usual, the reality is a bit more nuanced.
    Nats’ view has been well articulated - it’s a commercial dispute between private landowners and they must sort it out without taxpayers’ funds being used to victimise private land owners.

Should have been nipped in the bud day one instead of the pandering which led to the impasse.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Nats’ view has been well articulated - it’s a commercial dispute between private landowners and they must sort it out without taxpayers’ funds being used to victimise private land owners.

Should have been nipped in the bud day one instead of the pandering which led to the impasse.
    You say 'landowners' as in plural? There is only one isn't there - Fletchers?
    So Fletchers serve trespass on the trespassers and the police will enforce.
    Done and dusted?
    If only it were that simple.

Guru

I wonder if Judith Collins would end up crushing the occupation by sending in the police, like a previous National PM did with the occupation of Bastion Point.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/te-manu-k...-notice-served

You say 'landowners' as in plural? There is only one isn't there - Fletchers?
    So Fletchers serve trespass on the trespassers and the police will enforce.
    Done and dusted?
    If only it were that simple.
    First point of dispute is between the Te Kawerau a Maki iwi tribal authority & the competing mana whenua protestors.

Let them sort it out first - there's the Maori land court for that purpose.

Or is the Labour government saying that the Maori land court is useless?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I wonder if Judith Collins would end up crushing the occupation by sending in the police, like a previous National PM did with the occupation of Bastion Point.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/te-manu-k...-notice-served
    Big difference between Bastion Pt & Ihumatao.

Bastion Pt was Crown Land which that economic buffoon Muldoon wanted to sell off for private residential development (in which case, ownership passed to private hands and could not be contested ever again).

Ihumatao is private land. And private land ownership is sacrosanct in law in NZ - or was until Cindy decided to stick her nose in.
    Last edited by Balance; 25-08-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Guru

Ihumatao is private land. And private land ownership is sacrosanct in law in NZ ...
    ..and private land rights are enforced by the machinery of the state, which I am sure any National Party PM will leave alone without reform

..and private land rights are enforced by the machinery of the state, which I am sure any National Party PM will leave alone without reform
    Cindy got involved in Ihumatao because it involves Maori votes and she thought she just needed to throw $$$ at it. Leadership for the team of 5 million?

Advanced Member

I agree to an extent. NZ residential rental reform should have been part of a comprehensive raft of housing reforms, extending from taxation to social housing provision. Just concentrating on one or two aspects creates other shortcomings.
    That raft is what the current government thought they were doing. For the two areas you mention - housing related tax (more $ for the government so fewer $ for property owners >> higher rents), social housing (we told people to apply, and they did). So more tax money in = more to spend on taxpayer subsidised housing. Thanks taxpayers.

Is that too simplistic?

Advanced Member

I've always been picky with who I let to (from before the current changes) - any sensible business person manages their risk.
    The risk goalposts have been moved in the last couple of years and not just with the most recent amendments. Although some of those amendments are very likely to result in termination notices while landlords still can issue them.