sharetrader
Page 581 of 697 FirstFirst ... 81481531571577578579580581582583584585591631681 ... LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,810 of 6963
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    First point of dispute is between the Te Kawerau a Maki iwi tribal authority & the competing mana whenua protestors.

Let them sort it out first - there's the Maori land court for that purpose.

Or is the Labour government saying that the Maori land court is useless? ....
    Not at all sure about the Maori Land Court if there is no actual ownership interest involved - which there isn't currently. However it is quite a long time since I worked in the Maori Land Court and its scope may have changed.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    The risk goalposts have been moved in the last couple of years and not just with the most recent amendments. Although some of those amendments are very likely to result in termination notices while landlords still can issue them.
    I agree they have moved but I haven't had to change my stance on who I accept.
    I have had a large number of rentals for quite a few years.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Cindy got involved in Ihumatao because it involves Maori votes and she thought she just needed to throw $$$ at it. Leadership for the team of 5 million?
    Wasn't Ihumatao land taken by proclamation by the state back in the 1860"s? As for private land ownership being sacrosanct, I presume you have not been involved with land being compulsory purchased by Crown entities for "public needs"?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 25-08-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Wasn't Ihumatao land taken by proclamation by the state back in the 1860"s? As for private land ownership being sacrosanct, I presume you have not been involved with land being compulsory purchased by Crown entities for "public needs"?
    There is the Waitangi Tribunal for such disputes. But not for land in private ownership. Believe any Ihumatao deal would have to be by agreement of the stakeholders. Fletchers seems willing to come to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Again, there is a world of difference between land compulsorily acquired under Public Works Act vs private land taken to be given to Maori.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    I agree they have moved but I haven't had to change my stance on who I accept.
    I have had a large number of rentals for quite a few years.
    Fair comment and I am in the same position. Do you have a view on the impact on the rental sector of recent changes? There are plenty of anecdotes about selling, raising rents, selection of tenants going forward but also about new investors entering the market.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Fair comment and I am in the same position. Do you have a view on the impact on the rental sector of recent changes? There are plenty of anecdotes about selling, raising rents, selection of tenants going forward but also about new investors entering the market.
    People will still enter as it is still the best game in town for free capital gains, hard to get leverage with shares.
    With the historic low interest rates the 'costs' are reducing and, whereas before anything under 10% was a loser now 5% is seen as good.
    The ones talking about selling and hiking rents sky high are in the minority IMO - the vocal minority.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    People will still enter as it is still the best game in town for free capital gains, hard to get leverage with shares.
    With the historic low interest rates the 'costs' are reducing and, whereas before anything under 10% was a loser now 5% is seen as good.
    The ones talking about selling and hiking rents sky high are in the minority IMO - the vocal minority.
    With a single rental you could argue your way out of paying tax on the capital gain, but with more than one you end up with a large target on your back. You're in the business of providing rental accommodation.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    With a single rental you could argue your way out of paying tax on the capital gain, but with more than one you end up with a large target on your back. You're in the business of providing rental accommodation.
    Not so. As you are in the business of renting property unless you trade houses they are not part of the supply.
    If you buy and sell within 5 years you'd get caught by the brightline.
    So it would depend on the facts - how often you buy and sell.
    Being in the business of providing rental accommodation wouldn't mean that you can't change your product on occasion.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    But you are not in the business of trading rental stock. So you should be fine as far as the taxman is concerned. Just like with shares. IF you are investing for dividends and return and not trading shares, you will not pay capital gains tax. Same for property, if you meet the bright line requirements.