sharetrader
Page 597 of 697 FirstFirst ... 97497547587593594595596597598599600601607647 ... LastLast
Results 5,961 to 5,970 of 6963
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    The Green Party's policy has not changed.
    Shaw made a decision that was not according to party policy but he cannot unilaterally change policy.
    It seems to me that he would not have made the decision if someone had reminded him of the party policy at the time. He made the decision as Associate Finance Minister and he made mistake which he has acknowledged. I imagine he was under a lot of pressure with lots of criteria to think about and the fact it was a charter school didn't ring a warning bell. People make mistakes and I believe it was a mistake.
    I can not disagree with that. It is a monumental mistake that will probably assign The Greens to "dustbin of history" (Leon Trotsky).
    I do not buy for a second though that Shaw did not know what he was doing. He did, but thought he would get away with it unnoticed. I used to have some respect for him. No longer.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I can not disagree with that. It is a monumental mistake that will probably assign The Greens to "dustbin of history" (Leon Trotsky).
    I do not buy for a second though that Shaw did not know what he was doing. He did, but thought he would get away with it unnoticed. I used to have some respect for him. No longer.
    It’s actually quite simple to understand what has happened :

Would the late Jeanette Fitzsimmons who founded the Green Party have pushed for and approved $12m for such an elitist private school?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The question is...where does the disenchanted Green vote go? You'd think the majority would remain on the Left.

Notice how the narrative from the Labourites on this thread is repetitively along the lines of ‘it’s a mistake? They have admitted it so let’s move on.’

How many mistakes can any country bear from a Government of incompetents?

NZ is being led down the path of no progress and ever increasing debt burden - for what?

Hugs and kindness?

If the Greens withdraw their support, will the funding for the project be stopped? Or is it too far along now?

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Green School embraces 'curriculum enhancement'. It's not a good look for Mr Shaw, even if he doesn't personally go along with the unusual ideas. (Maybe he does.) Makes one wonder what else goes on at the school, and whether it is good value for big taxpayer funding.

"Newshub can reveal the Green School which received nearly $12 million in Government funding hosted a ‘sacred ceremony’ run by a school parent who believes COVID-19 is a manufactured natural disaster."

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...en-school.html

This article is well worth reading.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    What are your thoughts on the past week for Ardern's government dobby41?

Are you comfortable with the spending on the Green school?

Has Ardern been telling fibs about the day 3 tests?

Why didn't she extend the wage subsidy for the extra lockdown period as earlier promised? (If it is too hard why did she promise it?)

What are your thoughts on the mysterious silence on Ihumatao?
    Apologies for being late back to the party - I have been around the country enjoying what we have to offer in the land of the nearly free.
    Green school spending - stupid idea and I don't see how it makes a good 'shovel ready' project.
    The Greens pushed it - maybe because it had 'green' in the name and Shaw got confused?

Fibs about testing day 3 - been canvased extensively. I don't see it as a fib or a failure but others do - we are all allowed out opinions (hopefully without being called names from school yard bullies).

Extending wage subsidy - no opinion as I hadn't seen that.

Ihumatao - not going to happen before the election I'd say - far to politically incendiary. National, fortunately for them, can say what they want because they aren't in power to back it up.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12360406

Paywalled

Despite what you're told, our government's response is not the best in the world.

Taiwan is the true poster child of this pandemic. They've avoided any lockdowns at all, and yet only suffered 7 deaths and fewer than 500 cases in a country five times bigger than New Zealand. Taiwan's economy is forecast to grow by nearly 2 per cent this year.

Let that sink in, Labourites before you ever mouth off or post again that NZ leads the world in containing the virus - NZ does not.
    And I thought you said we should follow Australia (into having a death rate 5 times higher than ours maybe)?

I'm not sure the Govt said we were the BEST, among the best maybe (but you could prove me wrong on that - loose lips sink ships when analysed later).
    Taiwan have done a great job. They were prepared better after SARS. They seem to have a more compliant population and are willing to go further than us in running over privacy concerns (using phone data without your permission etc).
    They have certainly done better than us but we are still in the top tier.
    Some people like to see the worst - so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    And I thought you said we should follow Australia (into having a death rate 5 times higher than ours maybe)?

I'm not sure the Govt said we were the BEST, among the best maybe (but you could prove me wrong on that - loose lips sink ships when analysed later).
    Taiwan have done a great job. They were prepared better after SARS. They seem to have a more compliant population and are willing to go further than us in running over privacy concerns (using phone data without your permission etc).
    They have certainly done better than us but we are still in the top tier.
    Some people like to see the worst - so be it.
    Which part of Australian response until their quarantine debacle in Victoria do you not get?

But for the whistle blowers who revealed that NZ quarantine regime was heading exactly the same way as Victoria, we would be in a worse situation than Australia now.

Excuses - that’s all you Labourites can come out with.
    Last edited by Balance; 01-09-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    ... Ihumatao - not going to happen before the election I'd say - far to politically incendiary. National, fortunately for them, can say what they want because they aren't in power to back it up.
    The government has said a decision on Ihumatao will not be announced before the election. Possibly they ran out of time to tie it up before the election but that looks even more political with the extension to the election date. Or it is a deliberate decision for the reason you said dobby41 or just as likely there is no government majority to a deal on the table. Or both. . There are a lot of eyes watching and not too surprising if this becomes Ms Ardern's Metiira Moment.

AFAIK National has not said what course they will follow on this issue. It would completely make sense to wait and see what decisions are announced and what agreements have been reached with stakeholders.

Who could blame Fletchers for accepting a decent deal that would enable them to fold their tents and move well away from what will be a problem for years, one way or another.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Which part of Australian response until their quarantine debacle in Victoria do you not get?
    The bit I get is that this is a long game - the final score counts.
    Australia put a few good runs in but are now far behind the line.
    Maybe that had a plan but couldn't adapt as the situation changes.

I reply with my thoughts - you don't like them and I get that.
    Your problem not mine - I won't debate with someone who is dogmatic and blinded by some sort of hate.