sharetrader
Page 61 of 697 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161561 ... LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I don't think Nick is too concerned. He's a very active and good electorate MP and I think he's happy serving in that capacity for the term. Both Cullen (from memory) and English vacated their electorate seats to focus on the full time job of being Finance Minister.
    Little tried to become an electorate MP but always lost !! I think Little is probably one of the smarter Ministers in this Government .........
    What does that tell us!

I think Little is probably one of the smarter Ministers in this Government but just wasn't a Leader.
    That is a worryingly low bar. Little is the union boss who though Pike River was a great example of safety leadership

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Which electorate did Joyce stand in?
    That special electorate where mates are more important than voters
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

I don't think Nick is too concerned. He's a very active and good electorate MP and I think he's happy serving in that capacity for the term. Both Cullen (from memory) and English vacated their electorate seats to focus on the full time job of being Finance Minister.
    Little tried to become an electorate MP but always lost !! I think Little is probably one of the smarter Ministers in this Government but just wasn't a Leader.
    Apparently there's one big issue with Nick Smith stepping down. He's the Nelson MP, it would trigger a by-election. The Nats don't want to lose another electorate if they can help it. Imagine if Labour did stand aside and let the Greens go for it at that stage.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Apparently there's one big issue with Nick Smith stepping down. He's the Nelson MP, it would trigger a by-election. The Nats don't want to lose another electorate if they can help it. Imagine if Labour did stand aside and let the Greens go for it at that stage.
    So the Greens could actually win a seat ....

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Yes and he doesn't want to go.
    Int that the first two to go were the big black hole liars to the whole of NZ. I feel my/our posts about this added to the thousands of others around the country to give the full picture and helped Bill, the National party and Bridges and Joyce and co to make the logical easy decisions. And remember Simon Honesty and Integrity wins out in the end.
    snippet from Jane Patterson RNZ agrees with me.

National rolled the dice with its claim of a $11.7 billion hole in Labour's pre-election budget and despite being widely discredited, Mr Joyce and Mr English clung on to that claim until the end.
    That warning has been steadily downgraded to warnings the government's budget will be tight come May - that is in no doubt but is quite different from a multi-billion-dollar hole. It was a strategy that raised serious questions about Mr Joyce's credibility and that of Mr English who backed him to the hilt during the campaign.

Dilettante

EZ I think that’s an issue with all electorate MPs. They should stay for their full term unless they have a very good reason not to do so. I know Nick a little and know he takes the electorate seriously and always has. There are few more hardworking electorate MPs in the country and the vast majority of his work is for people that didn’t vote for him. You have gone silly with your theories about National wanting t keep him there for whatever reason. He wants to serve Nelson for the full term if I am not mistaken.
    Last edited by iceman; 08-03-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Legend

EZ I think that’s an issue with all electorate MPs. They should stay for their full term unless they have a very good reason not to do so. I know Nick a little and know he takes the electorate seriously and always has. There are few more hardworking electorate MPs in the country and the vast majority of his work is for people that didn’t vote for him. You have gone silly with your theories about National wanting t keep him there for whatever reason. He wants to serve Nelson for the full term if I am not mistaken.
    Probably another two terms or three I'd say. He's only mid 50s.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Probably another two terms or three I'd say. He's only mid 50s.
    No but he should not walk away and create a by-election

Helen Clarke now coming out fighting for women’s rights saying she hit a “glass ceiling” at UN. Sorry Helen. You didn’t. You got voted out both in NZ and at the UN because people didn’t like you. Move on but unlike Sir John, she can’t get a job in the real World, just like SirMichael our de-facto Finance Minister

Advanced Member

Core LOgic has ripped the Government's "Housing Stocktake Report" apart for inaccuracies. Says they use the average building cost per sqm for 230 sq.mtrs (average size) houses which is around $ 2,000/sq.mtr.
    But the "affordable" houses, much smaller and often on more than one level, they claim cost more than $ 3,400/sq.mtr. to build
    Furthermore, the claim costs such as fees, land costs, admin costs, groundwork, Branz levies and development contributons are grossly udner estimated or absent. I suppose its easy to come up with an "affordable" number by leaving out most costs.
    Infometrics agrees (and not wth Mr Eaqub).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/1021...no-gamechanger