sharetrader
Page 686 of 697 FirstFirst ... 186586636676682683684685686687688689690696 ... LastLast
Results 6,851 to 6,860 of 6963

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123...ney-to-be-made

Hard work in the horticultural sector but decent money.

Try telling that to the tens of thousands on benefits who are enjoying the laid back lifestyle.

I'd take up this offer.
    In exchange for me doing some horticultural work I'd request that my return airfare & accomodation is heavily subsidised in some way, as well as letting me take home as much fruit as I can take back with me.
    Actually it's not that bad of an idea to get Kiwis seeing other parts of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpynuts View Post
    I'd take up this offer.
    In exchange for me doing some horticultural work I'd request that my return airfare & accomodation is heavily subsidised in some way, as well as letting me take home as much fruit as I can take back with me.
    Actually it's not that bad of an idea to get Kiwis seeing other parts of the country.
    And there you have it - forget about doing a decent day’s work for a decent day’s pay.

Guru

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123...ney-to-be-made

Hard work in the horticultural sector but decent money.

Try telling that to the tens of thousands on benefits who are enjoying the laid back lifestyle.
    Nothing wrong with hard work. It is actually very beneficial for the body, good for the mind, and often gives one a sense of satisfaction at the end of the day. Why society these days demonises hard work is beyond me.

There are additional costs involved with traveling to a different location, to do seasonal fruit picking. So those costs need to be taken into account, whether you like it or not. Not everyone seeking work, has transport available. Flights or even bus fares are not cheap if you have to travel from South Canterbury to Nelson for example. Why do you expect unemployed people (or anyone for that matter) to simply suck that cost up? Low income people need every $ they earn. They can’t afford to spend a significant portion of what they earn, paying for transport and accommodation (if it is not provided).

And there you have it - forget about doing a decent day’s work for a decent day’s pay.

No I'd still do the work, pay for my own airfare, pay for my own accomodation, but I already have a full-time job.
    I'd take this on as additional weekend work - I would look at it as more of a weekend escape.

The subsidy comment is more of an incentive for the horticultural industry to get better quality, better educated individuals to turn up to their fields.
    Depending on good marketing you could make this out to be a trendy thing to do - All about the marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpynuts View Post
    No I'd still do the work, pay for my own airfare, pay for my own accomodation, but I already have a full-time job.
    I'd take this on as additional weekend work - I would look at it as more of a weekend escape.

The subsidy comment is more of an incentive for the horticultural industry to get better quality, better educated individuals to turn up to their fields.
    Depending on good marketing you could make this out to be a trendy thing to do - All about the marketing.
    Good on you, stumpynuts.

My apologies for thinking otherwise.
    Last edited by Balance; 29-10-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    There are additional costs involved with traveling to a different location, to do seasonal fruit picking. So those costs need to be taken into account, whether you like it or not. Not everyone seeking work, has transport available. Flights or even bus fares are not cheap if you have to travel from South Canterbury to Nelson for example. Why do you expect unemployed people (or anyone for that matter) to simply suck that cost up? Low income people need every $ they earn. They can’t afford to spend a significant portion of what they earn, paying for transport and accommodation (if it is not provided).
    Of course there will be additional costs and inconveniences!

What is unquantifiable are the huge & extremely uplifting benefits of being in gainful employment providing a purpose in life, being in the company of like minded hard working people and being in the fresh air - more than compensating for the additional costs and inconveniences.

Plus, it is impossible to believe that there are no unemployed individuals within driving distances to the orchards and gardens. I know for a fact that farms in Pukekohe and Henderson in Auckland are screaming out for workers and the only ones they can get are Indian students* and seasonal workers. Some of the farms provide vans to pick up the workers in the mornings and drop them back after work.

*Incidentally, notice how fast food places and supermarkets are staffed in the main by overseas workers (as in *Indian & Asian students) these days in Auckland? Because they have and are willing to work while NZers are at home because they can and are on the dough.

Just so you know, justakwi - I put myself through university working at three places during the week while studying, putting in at least 30 hours a week over 3 years (2 restaurants & a wood work factory) so I do not have much sympathy or empathy for anyone who thinks that life should be easy and moan about the benefits not being enough. Many of my fellow university friends decamped to Central Otago to tend orchards and pick fruits over the summer holidays, staying in rooms in boarding houses so they can save money for the year ahead.
    Last edited by Balance; 29-10-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Guru

If a currently unemployed person were to take up some of the seasonal work what happens when it ends (it is seasonal after all)?
    Can they go straight back on the benefit or is there a 13 week stand down?
    If there is a stand down then that doesn't really work does it?
    So, maybe they can tweak the system to allow for this.
    Also, when I travel from Hamilton to the Hawkes Bay to do some pruning, picking or whatever I've got to find accommodation as well as continue to pay the accommodation for my family left in Hamilton.
    A few fish hooks that need to be worked through.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Nothing wrong with hard work. It is actually very beneficial for the body, good for the mind, and often gives one a sense of satisfaction at the end of the day. Why society these days demonises hard work is beyond me.
    ..and yet for some the financial rewards have often come more from the increase in the equity of their own home, as result from falling interest rates boosting valuations. Yet it is their hard work, physical and mental, that is taxed.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    If a currently unemployed person were to take up some of the seasonal work what happens when it ends (it is seasonal after all)?
    Can they go straight back on the benefit or is there a 13 week stand down?
    If there is a stand down then that doesn't really work does it?
    So, maybe they can tweak the system to allow for this.
    Also, when I travel from Hamilton to the Hawkes Bay to do some pruning, picking or whatever I've got to find accommodation as well as continue to pay the accommodation for my family left in Hamilton.
    A few fish hooks that need to be worked through.
    All good points which a competent government will be working out.

Think we have a competent government?