sharetrader
Page 694 of 697 FirstFirst ... 194594644684690691692693694695696697 LastLast
Results 6,931 to 6,940 of 6963
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    Looks like the economy is trucking along just nicely and many National voters are probably better off than they might have been if their lot had been running the show earlier this year.
    Yep strong economy and no debt (NZ super fund net worth and the silver that has not been sold off yet means no net debt). Soon we'll have more assets than debt.

Michael Cullen was the best finance minister we have ever had and grant roberston will continue his legacy.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 17-12-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Only those dumb enough to vote for Cynical Cindy.
    Plenty of people voted Labour and they are not all dumb, in fact you may be the dummy.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Yep strong economy and no debt (NZ super fund net worth and the silver that has not been sold off yet means no net debt). Soon we'll have more assets than debt.

Michael Cullen was the best finance minister we have ever had and grant roberston continues his legacy.
    Let's hope Panda is nowhere near Treasury with this expertise on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    As long as you ignore the massive intergenerational debt that has been accumulated due to the economic life-support system we've been living off for the last few months.
    Got a better idea? It was National who dropped tax to 33% then embarked on a borrowing spree to pay for stuff "oh, whoops, we'll balance the books next year, promise". Naive to think National wouldn't have borrowed as a response to covid either initially or eventually. As I recall their main plan was simply to open the borders. Smart.

Guru

The sweden approach was purshed for if I recall -- we should have gone for the herd immunity experience.

We should have subsidies for businesses with one employee or more regardless of need.
    While Jacinda said let's not to both ideas and we're all better off for it.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 18-12-2020 at 01:14 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post

Michael Cullen was the best finance minister we have ever had and grant roberston will continue his legacy.
    What planet are you on ? NZ as a country is on track to increase debt by around 28% this year, all of it household and Government with minuscule amounts for corporates.

NZ Superfund is there for future liabilities, not for current out of control expenditure.

No debt ! Another Tui please
    Last edited by iceman; 18-12-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Guru

Bond holders are paying NZ in real terms because it's so safe. 0.5% months ago v 3% under National.

The increase value of the power companies and increased super fund gains are massive on the other hand. The balance sheet position may be better post-corona than pre-corona.
    Remarkable achievement, thanks labour.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 18-12-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I doubt if National would have raised income tax to 39% over 170k. That hardly makes anyone better off. Not that National are 'my lot'.
    Probably not - but Labour isn't either.
    It's $180k and the 2% (which I an one) can afford it!

Guru

Seems some people here don't want to hear that we are doing relatively well compared to other, comparable, countries.
    It doesn't fit the narrative that Labour will destroy the country.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Probably not - but Labour isn't either.
    It's $180k and the 2% (which I an one) can afford it!
    Sorry. You are right. I am one too along with a helluva lot more then 2%. Yes, I can afford it - but that is not the point. It is not a fair tax - plain and simple. I'm still shaking from Muldoon's 66% back in the 80s.