sharetrader
Page 84 of 697 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184584 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    This article and the comments show that we're probably not that different from Australia in total costs to run a car on the road.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/985...r-in-australia

I agree that once a 50L tankful costs over $100, I'm thinking about it. Must be tough for the oil companies to hand over all those levies they've collected for the govt, it would have to be a big cheque.

Would more fuel levies be a regressive tax? Maybe not, big road users with big rigs would pay a fair bit of it, and those lacking funds are already limiting their vehicle use. Those queues at petrol stations are often worsened with people dutifully trudging inside to get a pump authorised, and then they're only buying $10 worth.
    C’mon EZ ....you know it’s a regressive tax .....and you often say regressive taxes are bad

Those big rigs you mentioned .....increased costs find their way back to consumers eh

This 10 cents extra is $300m out of consumers pockets

And when you consider what Jacinda and Phil say they are going to use it for (cycleways and trams) one could say the drivers are paying more to get less
    Last edited by winner69; 04-04-2018 at 07:06 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Would more fuel levies be a regressive tax? Maybe not, big road users with big rigs would pay a fair bit of it, and those lacking funds are already limiting their vehicle use. Those queues at petrol stations are often worsened with people dutifully trudging inside to get a pump authorised, and then they're only buying $10 worth.
    Pull the other one El Zorro. A petrol tax hits the poor hardest, they are the ones where petrol is a larger % of their income than the more wealthy. You know its regressive, but you just cannot find it in yourself to be critical of your love for Labour.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Pull the other one El Zorro. A petrol tax hits the poor hardest, they are the ones where petrol is a larger % of their income than the more wealthy. You know its regressive, but you just cannot find it in yourself to be critical of your love for Labour.
    Most people on the dole can't afford to run a scooter, let alone a car. So they'd be using public transport or walking. Some workers pool vehicles to get to work, or are subsidised by employers in some way. I can afford to drive a car, so I don't use public transport. I can afford the levy increase, and don't forget National would have been doing the same thing, maybe more so. I realise that having more funds coming in for transport changes and upgrades will hopefully reduce congestion on the roads, and make them safer.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    And GST is added to this new ‘levy’

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    C’mon EZ ....you know it’s a regressive tax .....and you often say regressive taxes are bad

Those big rigs you mentioned .....increased costs find their way back to consumers eh

This 10 cents extra is $300m out of consumers pockets

And when you consider what Jacinda and Phil say they are going to use it for (cycleways and trams) one could say the drivers are paying more to get less
    Drivers are paying to encourage and develop more use of public transport, for better systems and safety features, all of which will make their driving experience better and save them time when commuting. It's also an encouragement to move into the far more efficient electric vehicles, I don't think they're going to tax electricity any differently.

Drivers are paying to encourage and develop more use of public transport, for better systems and safety features, all of which will make their driving experience better and save them time when commuting. It's also an encouragement to move into the far more efficient electric vehicles, I don't think they're going to tax electricity any differently.
    I only hope those many families who live in the outer suburbs ( and by necessity often have two cars) see it this way

Legend

I only hope those many families who live in the outer suburbs ( and by necessity often have two cars) see it this way
    Of course they will.

Don't forget that electric vehicles will soon be liable for RUC which is increasing as well. Hardly a good way to save money ... but hey, apparently somebody elected the big taxers, bullies and spenders, will hopefully teach us a lesson or two ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Dilettante

Hey EZ ...has Jacinda just introduced a regressive tax

I thought she said no new taxes ....
    Wrong winner. Taxinda has confirmed this is not a new tax so not breaking pre election promises. Based on that, she can increase all current taxes and still not break her promise. Clever. "Let's do this"

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Wrong winner. Taxinda has confirmed this is not a new tax so not breaking pre election promises. Based on that, she can increase all current taxes and still not break her promise. Clever. "Let's do this"
    Stupid me in misunderstanding her.

No doubt a new trend ....the trend is your friend they say so all honky dory