sharetrader
Page 96 of 697 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196596 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Well done Labour for levelling the playing field on GST by adding to all online purchases. Long overdue.
    Lets wait until we see the details. I guess I don't mind paying GST on oversees purchases as long as

a) they don't hit me in addition with a huge collection fee (as they do these days with all purchases above the tax-free limit) and
    b) I get at the same time a refund of overseas applied GST (otherwise I pay twice) and
    c) The cost for collecting the additional taxes is less than the additional taxes they collect, otherwise the whole exercise is pretty pointless - isn't it?

Sort of doubt they manage to be fair and reasonable ... probably just another scheme to employ more useless and expensive bureaucrats and make life overall more expensive in New Zealand. Don't hold my breath.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Lets wait until we see the details. I guess I don't mind paying GST on oversees purchases as long as

c) The cost for collecting the additional taxes is less than the additional taxes they collect, otherwise the whole exercise is pretty pointless - isn't it?

Your point c is the interesting one. No way in hell are they going to collect more GST than it is going to cost them. How to make overseas shops/suppliers/vendors GST compliant and registered is going to be a nightmare.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

a) they don't hit me in addition with a huge collection fee (as they do these days with all purchases above the tax-free limit) and
    b) I get at the same time a refund of overseas applied GST (otherwise I pay twice) and

Sort of doubt they manage to be fair and reasonable ... probably just another scheme to employ more useless and expensive bureaucrats and make life overall more expensive in New Zealand. Don't hold my breath.
    If I remember correctly, that was the reason the last Government set the limit for goods worth $400 or more. The advice was that it may cost more than it would collect to introduce it on lower value goods.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Your point c is the interesting one. No way in hell are they going to collect more GST than it is going to cost them. How to make overseas shops/suppliers/vendors GST compliant and registered is going to be a nightmare.
    I heard it described by a taxation commentator this morning as "quasi voluntary". I think I know what that means!

Last edited by winner69; 01-05-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Don't you mean Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Don't you mean Bill?
    My bad ...so excited I got carried away
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If I remember correctly, that was the reason the last Government set the limit for goods worth $400 or more. The advice was that it may cost more than it would collect to introduce it on lower value goods.
    "Goods mailed into NZ may be subject to import duty. Import duties are calculated on the Customs value of the goods in New Zealand dollars. The goods may also be subject to Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 15%, based on the Customs value of the goods, and including the duty (if any) and postal/courier charges.Aug 31, 2017 "

NZ retailers will be happy, Probably won't make a big difference to on line shopping.

westerly

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I heard it described by a taxation commentator this morning as "quasi voluntary". I think I know what that means!
    There is no international jurisdiction that can compel a foreign online retailer to comply with NZ's GST 'law'. The whole scheme will be voluntary, and the scale and scope of online retailers worldwide (incomprehensibly vast) would suggest that there is no hope in hell that the GST net could be cast wide enough to make wit of difference to 'levelling the playing field'. What a joke, a waste of time and money, a compliance nightmare, and totally unenforceable.

When I buy it gets sent to a US address and shipped to NZ from there.