sharetrader
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Yes, i probably shouldn't have put it in. Trap for ypung kittens. I have been contacting the few people who picked it...and most have got back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Brokers picks are usually touted in a story in the NZ Herald

Hasn’t appeared yet ...maybe the brokers are too embarrassed to do it this year
    Yes in previous years it has appeared by now. Lets all keep an eagle eye out for it in the next few editions.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Got it greater fool!! And MCK definitely ok...will add shortly.

Special request SylvesterCat. Can you please in the next few days list the ten most picked stocks by ST members in the competition in order of popularity.
    This might be helpful for anyone tempted to have a few bob in each as a way to tap into the collective intelligence of this investment community and to boost the diversification of their existing portfolio.
    One could even be tempted to have 10X invested in the most popular stock, 9X in the second most popular e.t.c. regardless of whether one already holds the stock. X = whatever $ amount makes it interesting for the investor concerned. Might make for an interesting experiment for 2018 to see if such a portfolio did well.
    One could also invest for example 5X in any stock picked more than once by a broking house if it was different to the above ten stocks as a further way of achieving portfolio diversification.
    Although I am sure we all like to think we have all our bases covered already on the NZX, in my opinion it is good for the soul to admit it is not humanly possible to have a mortgage on all the good investment idea's on the NZX and to accept that there is merit in a diversification of idea's which is why of course boards of directors are made up of more than one person
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Special request SylvesterCat. Can you please in the next few days list the ten most picked stocks by ST members in the competition in order of popularity.
    This might be helpful for anyone tempted to have a few bob in each as a way to tap into the collective intelligence of this investment community and to boost the diversification of their existing portfolio.
    One could even be tempted to have 10X invested in the most popular stock, 9X in the second most popular e.t.c. regardless of whether one already holds the stock. X = whatever $ amount makes it interesting for the investor concerned. Might make for an interesting experiment for 2018 to see if such a portfolio did well.
    One could also invest for example 5X in any stock picked more than once by a broking house if it was different to the above ten stocks as a further way of achieving portfolio diversification.
    Although I am sure we all like to think we have all our bases covered already on the NZX, in my opinion it is good for the soul to admit it is not humanly possible to have a mortgage on all the good investment idea's on the NZX and to accept that there is merit in a diversification of idea's which is why of course boards of directors are made up of more than one person
    Good idea Mr Beagle .....good thinking mate, no wonder some call you a guru

I think the top 5 in 2017 would have doubled your money (on a equal weighting) by having five solid companies in such a portfolio

That's pretty good seeing that speculative stocks like Serko and Pushpay weren't in the top 5
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Following the momo

Hi SC, Any chance of listing MHJ to the list?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    no problem! was going to do exactly that...will get some messages out this evening or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinty View Post
    Hi SC, Any chance of listing MHJ to the list?

Cheers
    Groan. Just doing it now

MCK
    MHJ

both added

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Good idea Mr Beagle .....good thinking mate, no wonder some call you a guru

I think the top 5 in 2017 would have doubled your money (on a equal weighting) by having five solid companies in such a portfolio

That's pretty good seeing that speculative stocks like Serko and Pushpay weren't in the top 5
    You're FAR too kind mate but I can't take credit for such an idea. Some other Winner had that idea first ...all I did was tweak the formula a little.

Quote Originally Posted by SylvesterCat View Post
    no problem! was going to do exactly that...will get some messages out this evening or tomorrow.
    Thanks mate and thanks again for putting your paws up to run this competition.

1) Quick update: 116 entries so far, still a long way shy of last year. Can still enter if you wish - in the interests of fairness, will accept entries up until January 2nd (since first trading day is the 3rd). The mighty Thor - god of 2017 - has indeed submitted his/her entry . Enter by a private message on sharetrader, emailing sylvestercat2018@gmail.com or via the survey link here.

2) The entry list so far can be seen at this link - will keep the picks hidden until entries close. There will be pages showing share performance and "popular picks" added to the site.

3) Have rung a couple of brokers today, they have indicated they'll get back to me, but also intimated they had spoken with the NZ Herald, so should be in an article any day now.

Big learning for me has been to get the list correct up front - thanks for your patience as I've added to the list with your help.