sharetrader
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pike River Mk 2

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post

Adern and Peters had the benefit of hindsight when making their promises
    And throwing lots of money at it.

But Winnie will lead them into the mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Can i borrow you tardus? Maybe we should employ you and balance to solve the crime. Shall we call you The Double BB Sensing Supreme Crime Team. What true players you are, how about something beginning with p as your first sensing clue, great stuff
    Go and find your burning bush, JT. You need salvation.

Update Ready To Install

Better to burn out then rust. Maybe you can forecast some share prices for us too, How about shares with the ticker beginning with A.
    And maybe a poll on whether John Key should have been Pikeknighted.

Better to burn out then rust. Maybe you can forecast some share prices for us too, How about shares with the ticker beginning with A.
    And maybe a poll on whether John Key should have been Pikeknighted.
    Classic attempt to shift the argument away from what's at hand. Means you have already lost the argument - enough said.

Update Ready To Install

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Dont need a tardus - just go back and look how many times Pike asked NOG for more cash to fix things up that went wrong.

One way in and out. Who would ever have thought there would be a problem with that?

What brains trust was behind a ventilation shaft being used as a means of emergency evacuation?

As for John Key - agree he didn't shower himself in glory. Arguably he got caught up in the emotion at the timewhen he said "The first thing is I’m here to give you absolute reassurance, we’re committed to getting the boys out, and nothing’s going to change that. So – when people try and tell you we’re not, they’re playing, I hate to say it, but they’re playing with your emotions."
    I agree a perfect disaster in the making. I believe this Govt are genuine about retrieving bodies and possible evidence and hope the tech will arrive to assist a difficult extraction. Why on earth diss it , judge it, fail it pre. its like some dont want it to succeed hence the politicism agenda?

Check out this similar disaster and he only gets one year.

Former coal CEO sentenced to a year in prison after 2010 West ...

Check out this similar disaster and he only gets one year.

Former coal CEO sentenced to a year in prison after 2010 West ...
    And that is why Withall will not be held to account. Blankeship was CEO for 10 year. Withall was CEO for less than three months.

If govt was serious about finding evidence they would already have evidence that implicates Gordon Ward but have chosen not to use it. Same with John Dow and the board of NZOG. (Why would they appoint Stuart Nattrass when he already had his hands full with South Canterbury Finance). That tells you where evidence gathering is going to go - nowhere.

After all this time the Drift is going to be re-entered. Justice is finally going to be seen to be done. Good on Bernie Monk and the other families who have pushed for this. Shame on National and those who wanted the Mine sealed and the pursuit of justice fall at the first hurdle.

Hear, hear.

What an absolute waste of money. $36 million could be better spent.

The board and senior management of this company should have been in Jail. National put money ahead of justice and principles.

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan View Post
    What an absolute waste of money. $36 million could be better spent.
    I didnt hear you quibbling about the cost of recovering Matt Wallis' body from the bottom of Lake Wanaka last week. Government spends over $100b. You really don't want to get into a discussion on wasted government expenditure - that belongs on another thread. But as a head line number it is meaningless. From the $36m govt will recover a goodly sum in GST and PAYE.

But just to put your fiscally responsible bleeding heart to rest be aware government also spends money on returning the heads of dead maori to NZ and returning dead servicemen to NZ.

That said, I see no good reason why NZOG shouldn't have their hand in their pocket and help contribute towards the costs - it was after all the greed of their Directors and Shareholders that led to this sorry situation.

They should have given the $36m to Bernie Monk and co,with permission to go in and get the poor miners out,then spread any money left over to the families.

I find this fixation with bodies, heads, etc a bit weird. When I die, I want to be cremated wherever I am at the time.

I just hope no one else is put in danger for this pursuit of "justice and principles" ... and if they're talking about money spent by the government I can't help think of the huge stink that was kicked up by a $21milllion flag referendum a few years back.

Can we still invest in Pike River or did they go bust?

Guru

IMO The real fault lies with the minister/person who decided that P River was to be a underground mine when in the first place it should have been an open cast mine, all in the cause of saving 100 acres or less of third grade third cut over beech forest, bowing to the bleeding hearts greenies ( and Im a some what greenie myself )!!!

Guru

Helen someone I think !!!

On my rounds and just a little behind..

This thing is ridiculous. All they'll find are ashes. The whole place was an over-achieving crematorium set to 11 for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    IMO The real fault lies with the minister/person who decided that P River was to be a underground mine when in the first place it should have been an open cast mine, all in the cause of saving 100 acres or less of third grade third cut over beech forest, bowing to the bleeding hearts greenies ( and Im a some what greenie myself )!!!
    Since you want to identify where the real fault lies - you have tied it back to Pike River and NZOG.

Pike River never applied for an Open Cast consent. The primary reason was economic. The coal seam was thin and could be found at a starting depth of 162m. Open cast worked well when resource is close to surface and of decent depth. You also need to remember the planning was being done at a time when coal commodity prices weren't that great. So Pike had to find the most economically viable method of extraction - so that was an underground mine.

Then you had the practical issues. Because it is such a thin seam there would have been a huge amount of earth moving required to be done. Huge regardless of where the mine was sited. Adding to this was the limited number of test bore holes drilled so they weren't exactly sure where the seam went - so they could have been diggin a great big hole for nothing. Better to find the seam and follow it underground. And the terrain was very difficult. So difficult that they kept the access road and tunnel entrance where it was. They could have had a shorter tunnel if they wanted to drive a road further up - but Pike decided not to.

And then you have the ecological issues - which did not come up because open cast was never an option.

Fault for that lies solely at NZOG / PRC

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by drcjp View Post
    This thing is ridiculous. All they'll find are ashes. The whole place was an over-achieving crematorium set to 11 for weeks.
    as well as the mess that the rats and pigs would have made of whats left !!

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    as well as the mess that the rats and pigs would have made of whats left !!
    It is said the environment within Pike is 90 - 95% methane. Pigs and rats can't survive in that type of environment.