sharetrader
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    Down from $40 to $9.9 !!

I got the title of this thread right.

Disclosure: Always wanted to but never bought in.
    When it gets close to NTA I would be interested, but at least it is now back to a more 'realistic' level than the ridiculously overvalued on any metric/ideology near $40 price it was just a month ago

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    When it gets close to NTA I would be interested, but at least it is now back to a more 'realistic' level than the ridiculously overvalued on any metric/ideology near $40 price it was just a month ago
    I don't think there are realistic levels for Afterpay. They have to grow rapidly otherwise their business model is failing. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes belly-up over the next few months.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by silu View Post
    I don't think there are realistic levels for Afterpay. They have to grow rapidly otherwise their business model is failing. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes belly-up over the next few months.
    Had no really thought it through,but now that I have,I think you are most probably right.

Not what the market is saying today, over 50% in one day. Don’t hold but wish I brought some yesterday

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by flyer View Post
    Not what the market is saying today, over 50% in one day. Don’t hold but wish I brought some yesterday
    I'm pretty sure you don't wish anymore.

Time to buy some AUD and be prepared to grab some of these

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    I can't believe they haven't updated the market on the impact of Covid-19 on transaction volume.

An announcement on the 19th of March stated:

I have both Afterpay NZ and Afterpay Australia merchant accounts. My Afterpay NZ account has gone to zero as the country is in lock down. My Afterpay Australia account has started to drop significantly, especially in the last few days. It's likely that Australia will go into full lock down by next week. Most retail stores in Australia have already started to close and won't reopen for another 4 weeks, possibly longer.

Afterpay's main source of revenue is transaction fees from merchants. It's likely their revenue has already been significantly impacted, perhaps as much as 90% or more, yet no update has been provided to the market.

The announcement on the 19th of March stated:

This suggests that they are not going to check their "numbers" until after the March quarter, which could be another 10 days from now.

Unbelievable lack of company governance.
    This is just wrong sorry.

The majority of their business comes from online which has increased in Australia, UK and United States. NZ would have completely frozen but that is a tiny part of their business. Even if countries go into lockdown they have no direct product costs so they can take a short term hit.

Of course as revenue takes a hit for retailers their growth will slow in the short term, however afterpay is in exponential growth and I actually think this presents opportunity for consolidation in the BNPL sector which as a first mover could prove beneficial to afterpay.

Guru

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/120...-retailer-says

Seems like APT have introduced measures that mean they don't have to pay anything out until the item has been dispatched (rather than at point of payment)... Could it be that afterpay are actually facing a cash crunch themselves? Beginning of the end of them if so... not a good look when they appear to be killing their customers (aka merchants)
    Last edited by trader_jackson; 05-04-2020 at 01:29 PM.

Investor

Big moves in APT y'day after chinese tech giant Tencent reveals its built a 5% stake in the company since started buying from March. What spectacular rise from low of $9 in late March to now at $36 as of y'day, a four increase in just over a month.

Disc-Not a holder, just wondering how many these types of buying we'll witness from Chinese under current depressed asset price levels.

Continually misrepresented and misunderstood APT going from strength to strength, attracting world class tech investors along the way (Matrix Partners, Coatue, Tencent etc)

eCommerce is going gangbusters since everyone is now stuck at home, of which Afterpay will be a beneficiary. Even more so, since people will be more budget focused (Afterpay is used as a budgeting tool.)

They'll likely weather the economic downturn just fine thanks to small outstanding balances, and automated payments (although to be confirmed next report.)

This has been such a Peter Lynch stock, seeing Afterpay logos popping up everywhere over the last couple years.
    Last edited by zgnz; 05-05-2020 at 08:20 PM.