sharetrader
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    I’d be surprised if it’s as high as 3c, what are you basing that figure on?

Also, the market update is Thursday the 25th..
    let see..Thursday....shall we...

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Hard to go past the various power companies if you're looking for safe yield come whatever may on the market.
    While the cashflow should remain indefinitely (assuming tesla doesn’t pull a black swan out of its hat!), but these are basically priced at bond proxy valuations, no? What happens if interest rates rise?

Quote Originally Posted by King1212 View Post
    OCA..at least 3 cents a share on this wed announcement
    Sure, I’ll be pretty happy if you’re right!

Advanced Member

Spark and Goodman Property Trust work well for me

Might help clarify people's thoughts if you are talking net 5% in your hand or gross yield. That helps people's thoughts in terms of trying to help you.
    FYI - 5% net in your hand after full imputation credits at 28% = 5 / 0.72 = 6.94% gross.
    Happy with 5% gross compared to term deposit. My uneducated thinking favours the power companies but looking for diverse shares. How about SPK high imputation? Many thanks for all replies.

Safe bet hgh div, I’d go smartshares NZ Dividend fund with 6.55% gross div

Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    Happy with 5% gross compared to term deposit. My uneducated thinking favours the power companies but looking for diverse shares. How about SPK high imputation? Many thanks for all replies.
    I put together a portfolio for my Mum a while back, (the aim was a very strong focus on yield but a little growth), which was my best thinking at that time
    AIR Gross expected yield 10% but headwinds are emerging so watch for probable capital loss.
    ARG Steady as she goes commercial property PIE, fully taxed within the company, net yield 5.8% in the hand, trading about asset value
    GMT Ditto above net yield 5% in the hand, expect divvy increases in the years ahead as they complete their Highbrook development
    GNE About 6.6% net, mostly imputed, nice recent Q2 market update, well diversified generation portfolio, upside from rising oil prices and LPG business integration
    HLG Expecting 35 cps fully imputed this year, gross yield 11.8%, growing Glassons in Australia very nicely, slick retail operation with a 144 track record
    HBL 9.5-10 cps divvy this year, fully imputed gives about 6.5% gross yield which is a lot more than depositing it with them, reasonable EPS growth going forward, currently very fully priced
    MEL Similar safe yield and investment to GNE
    THL Meets the 5% gross criteria just with a very good earnings growth outlook.

That portfolio would give you about an 8% gross return, (assuming a 33% tax rate) with equal amounts in each share. Substituting Spark for AIR wouldn't change that much.

Doing it now I'd probably substitute Spark for AIR, (see AIR thread for reasons why).

As some others have quite correctly noted, if we see a material increase in interest rates its quite possible that some of the pure yield plays could correct a bit which is why I put in some shares like THL which has about a 5% gross divvy so meets the target yield but has strong growth potential.

If you want to spread your net far and wide and a one stop shop with no hassles whatsoever then the NZX smartshares high yield fund is well worth considering, see www.smartshares.co.nz
    Last edited by Beagle; 22-01-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Membaa

Bumkin, how active are you likely to be investing, like make a deposit and in a decade count the tally, or all over it like a rash managing capital, or something in between?

I put together a portfolio for my Mum a while back, (the aim was a very strong focus on yield but a little growth), which was my best thinking at that time
    AIR Gross expected yield 10% but headwinds are emerging so watch for probable capital loss.
    ARG Steady as she goes commercial property PIE, fully taxed within the company, net yield 5.8% in the hand, trading about asset value
    GMT Ditto above net yield 5% in the hand, expect divvy increases in the years ahead as they complete their Highbrook development
    GNE About 6.6% net, mostly imputed, nice recent Q2 market update, well diversified generation portfolio, upside from rising oil prices and LPG business integration
    HLG Expecting 35 cps fully imputed this year, gross yield 11.8%, growing Glassons in Australia very nicely, slick retail operation with a 144 track record
    HBL 9.5-10 cps divvy this year, fully imputed gives about 6.5% gross yield which is a lot more than depositing it with them, reasonable EPS growth going forward, currently very fully priced
    MEL Similar safe yield and investment to GNE
    THL Meets the 5% gross criteria just with a very good earnings growth outlook.

That portfolio would give you about an 8% gross return, (assuming a 33% tax rate) with equal amounts in each share. Substituting Spark for AIR wouldn't change that much.

Doing it now I'd probably substitute Spark for AIR, (see AIR thread for reasons why).

As some others have quite correctly noted, if we see a material increase in interest rates its quite possible that some of the pure yield plays could correct a bit which is why I put in some shares like THL which has about a 5% gross divvy so meets the target yield but has strong growth potential.

If you want to spread your net far and wide and a one stop shop with no hassles whatsoever then the NZX smartshares high yield fund is well worth considering, see www.smartshares.co.nz
    Solid write up Beagle.

Thoughts on AUG and IFT being on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Bumkin, how active are you likely to be investing, like make a deposit and in a decade count the tally, or all over it like a rash managing capital, or something in between?
    Invest and forget !