sharetrader
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Television brands

Looking to purchase a new TV shortly, anyone got ideas on the best brand out there, not going to get into a discussion on what size and 4k is not needed etc. (seems they are very few non 4K or better tvs now in any case)
    There was some discussion on the latter sometime ago, but cannot find the thread.

Have always had Panasonics in the past, currently got a Panasonic Plasma non smart TV, but have read the Sony's get a good write up for picture quality etc.

P.S. not looking at an OLED TV.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Looking to purchase a new TV shortly, anyone got ideas on the best brand out there, not going to get into a discussion on what size and 4k is not needed etc. (seems they are very few non 4K or better tvs now in any case)
    There was some discussion on the latter sometime ago, but cannot find the thread.

Have always had Panasonics in the past, currently got a Panasonic Plasma non smart TV, but have read the Sony's get a good write up for picture quality etc.

P.S. not looking at an OLED TV.
    Hi Jay,

Recently bought an LG 50 inch 4k smart tv and am happy with the purchase. Made sure the hertz thingee was 200 and not 50 or 100 otherwise too blurry for me. But what I took from the experience was that not one brand suits all. My parents recently bought a tv and they purchased a panasonic and were nto happy with the LG or Sony models. I think its a bit of horses for courses and off course how much you want to spend.
    Yes Sony do have a good rep for pic quality, but I am very happy with my LG. Just do a bit of shopping around and have a look at some of the in store models and see what suits you best.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Just do a bit of shopping around and have a look at some of the in store models and see what suits you best.
    Just be aware that when you do wander TV's will be set to "Vivid - Burn Your Retinas out" setting
    (mines a Panasonic - last of the plasmas so I am hoping it last a while longer yet)

Update Ready To Install

Consumer mag has put 2 LG models as the no 1 and 2 picks in its tv test reccos and another LG in 6th place. But they dont factor pricing into the mix. They judge on HD picture, SD picture,Sound, reliability.

Guru

Very pleased with 55 inch Samsung I bought 4 + years ago. I think all the name brands are pretty good now, although some of the smart features vary if you will be using much internet tv.

The Sony 4k I bought a couple of years ago is amazing picture quality, and is ultra thin. I would highly recommend Sony, my previous one was Sony as well. It's 10 years old and is still in mint condition, pride of place in my garage.
    One thing I will say is that the settings out of the box on the new one were awful. I had to turn off auto darkening and tweak some other settings to get it to the magnificent state its in now.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    The Sony 4k I bought a couple of years ago is amazing picture quality, and is ultra thin. I would highly recommend Sony, my previous one was Sony as well. It's 10 years old and is still in mint condition, pride of place in my garage.
    One thing I will say is that the settings out of the box on the new one were awful. I had to turn off auto darkening and tweak some other settings to get it to the magnificent state its in now.
    I agree, Sony are great. Never had any problem with them. Picked up a sony 9000e recently, great bit of kit, has rave reviews and is living up to them

Has anyone found a modern TV with decent sound. I know that you can add on a sound bar or surround sound, but with the thin sets there is not much room for speakers. Listening to the news, the sound is OK but when you watch a movie the sound goes muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Hi Jay,

Recently bought an LG 50 inch 4k smart tv and am happy with the purchase. Made sure the hertz thingee was 200 and not 50 or 100 otherwise too blurry for me. But what I took from the experience was that not one brand suits all. My parents recently bought a tv and they purchased a panasonic and were nto happy with the LG or Sony models. I think its a bit of horses for courses and off course how much you want to spend.
    Yes Sony do have a good rep for pic quality, but I am very happy with my LG. Just do a bit of shopping around and have a look at some of the in store models and see what suits you best.
    Thanks blackcap, had forgotten about the hertz thingy

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Just be aware that when you do wander TV's will be set to "Vivid - Burn Your Retinas out" setting
    (mines a Panasonic - last of the plasmas so I am hoping it last a while longer yet)
    Yes mm, they have a "demo" mode or something I think, though you look at some and there are vast differences in the picture, tough they are showing the same thing
    I have an 43" and a new 50" LED is about the same size due to the old one having a speaker section across the bottom and a 3ft bevel around the screen

Update Ready To Install

FWIW ratkins sony came 8th out of 42 tvs and was the cheapest of those 8 so looks great value too.

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    Has anyone found a modern TV with decent sound. I know that you can add on a sound bar or surround sound, but with the thin sets there is not much room for speakers. Listening to the news, the sound is OK but when you watch a movie the sound goes muddy.

If you get a TV with bluetooth or wifi you can get it to play through your speakers.. we use a Bose system which is quite good.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    FWIW ratkins sony came 8th out of 42 tvs and was the cheapest of those 8 so looks great value too.
    I know value when I see it :-) bought in jan sales for only 1400 Was widely regarded as the best non OLED Tv on the market. Some reviews only negative was the sound, but tbh I find it fine.

Whatever you end up with I recommend getting a calibration disk. I use Digital Video Essentials. This will help you get the absolute best out of your TV and get rid of the horrid overblown pre-sets

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    I know value when I see it :-) bought in jan sales for only 1400 Was widely regarded as the best non OLED Tv on the market. Some reviews only negative was the sound, but tbh I find it fine.
    I know when I have been casually looking while a go, you see a smaller TV at a higher price than a bigger one lower price, apparently all depends on the "series" of various brands, they have supposedly different picture quality as they seemed to be the same otherwise, very confusing!
    I saw HN selling a 55" 85xxx for around $1400 and a 9 series 49" for $1600
    Last edited by Jay; 07-02-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I know when I have been casually looking while a go, you see a smaller TV at a higher price than a bigger one lower price, apparently all depends on the "series" of various brands, they have supposedly different picture quality as they seemed to be the same otherwise, very confusing!
    I saw HN selling a 55" 85xxx for around $1400 and a 9 series 49" for $1600
    Yeah this is a good point. Pick the brand you want, pick the size you want , and then go for the most expensive of that size/brand in your price range.
    But wait for a sale. The Sony I got was the previous years model, but was immediately update with the current years software (which essentially made it identical to the current years model) and was HALF PRICE, straight from the Sony store at Silvia park, and free shipping to Tauranga.

One of the most impressive things about the Sony was the box and packaging. It was an engineering marvel, and as such needed an engineering degree to get into it. But it left me confident that if they've put this much thought into the box, the TV itself must be spaceship tech.