sharetrader
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    FWIW ratkins sony came 8th out of 42 tvs and was the cheapest of those 8 so looks great value too.
    One of the issues I have with Consumer, sometimes they compare apples with oranges, in most cases with the TVs, the OLED should be better than LCD_LED TV's but the price is way higher.
    As I mentioned, I think, there are very few 49" or greater non 4K TVs around nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    Yeah this is a good point. Pick the brand you want, pick the size you want , and then go for the most expensive of that size/brand in your price range.
    But wait for a sale. The Sony I got was the previous years model, but was immediately update with the current years software (which essentially made it identical to the current years model) and was HALF PRICE, straight from the Sony store at Silvia park, and free shipping to Tauranga.

One of the most impressive things about the Sony was the box and packaging. It was an engineering marvel, and as such needed an engineering degree to get into it. But it left me confident that if they've put this much thought into the box, the TV itself must be spaceship tech.
    Good idea tg.
    I have had a look at the Sony store, even with a "staff" discount (thru the company I work for - not Sony) HN and NL had them a lot cheaper during the sale.
    Are doing some minor renos soon and will want to have the new tv sorted before so we know what "hole" we need etc, but there should be another sale next week or the one after that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    One of the issues I have with Consumer, sometimes they compare apples with oranges, in most cases with the TVs, the OLED should be better than LCD_LED TV's but the price is way higher.
    As I mentioned, I think, there are very few 49" or greater non 4K TVs around nowadays.
    I gave up on Consumer years ago when they junked Tivo - which is undoubtedly #1 in PVR's. Showed they had no idea.

Update Ready To Install

I find them worth the sub, they are just another useful tool to help make ones decisions as these days there are just so many flaming multiple choices and models of things!

Guru

I find them worth the sub, they are just another useful tool to help make ones decisions as these days there are just so many flaming multiple choices and models of things!
    Can anyone honestly claim the subscription has saved them the $100 a year that it costs?
    I doubt it - and there are so many reviews online that cost zilch.

Update Ready To Install

Well don't buy another sub then lol

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Can anyone honestly claim the subscription has saved them the $100 a year that it costs?
    I doubt it - and there are so many reviews online that cost zilch.
    I rate on line reviews (with obvious grain of salt) much higher than consumer. You get the real world experience rather than bench tests consumer do.

If OP has people here saying Sony has been pretty good then thats a good starting point.

Update Ready To Install

Im very happy buying my local nz consumer and supporting it for its local educational consumer rights etc etc and its unbiased tests. So much out there you know someone is on the graft when they recco / promote products. Consumer is not perfect but to me worth the sub in spades in time saving alone and even more worth supporting an honest , informing, nz magazine amidst all of the plethora of options , choices and models and BIAS out there. A great nz tool and as kiwi classic as the jelly tip ice cream.

Im very happy buying my local nz consumer and supporting it for its local educational consumer rights etc etc and its unbiased tests. So much out there you know someone is on the graft when they recco / promote products. Consumer is not perfect but to me worth the sub in spades in time saving alone and even more worth supporting an honest , informing, nz magazine amidst all of the plethora of options , choices and models and BIAS out there. A great nz tool and as kiwi classic as the jelly tip ice cream.
    Unbiased tests? They don't even test. With the Tivo they didnt know how big the hard drive was. Duh - six screws, one minute later you see the hard drive and its written there plain as day.

And then they bang on about power usage while in standby mode (remember how we can save the planet by turning off appliances) They didn't even know Tivo doesnt have a standby mode - its always on. Buffering two channels so when you turn your TV on you can go back to at the beginning of the TV programme the tivo was buffering.

And then the Men In Lab Coats rated the Hyandai as #1 because it had one tuner (tivo had 2), noted it wasnt Freeview Approved (Tivo was), had a 7 day EPG (tivo had 14) and had a low standby power consumption (because it had no internal hard drive - you had to connect it to an external hard drive and the MILC's didnt measure the external hard drive power consumption).

Failing this, the MLS didn't even mention Tivos Season Pass or Suggestions and the Hyaunday was around $450 against Tivos $370.

Consider the Tivo is essentially just a TV receiver with recording functions - you dont get a device more simple than that. And they are trusted for reviews of more complex devices.

I wouldn't touch Consumer with a barge pole.

Update Ready To Install

Stay away hater ,New Zealand and Consumer dont need barge poles, by all means do your own thing. I wouldn't touch you with a 11ft carbon graphite trout rod except in a lightning show.

Stay away hater ,New Zealand and Consumer dont need barge poles, by all means do your own thing. I wouldn't touch you with a 11ft carbon graphite trout rod except in a lightning show.
    When you find you have paddled up sh1te creek on Consumers Advice you might wish you had one.

Guru

Calm down JT, mini is not hating, just stating facts and finally an opinion of his analysis of the facts that he would not use consumer nor advocate others do so. Nothing more nothing less. So what if consumer is NZ owned. Does that make it any better? It still has its own Biases... just like any publication.
    Last edited by blackcap; 07-02-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Oh look. For free I can see Consumer recommend LG as "top Brand". You get the mag - tell me. Do they mention calibration? If they dont then I rate their TV reviews as useless.

Update Ready To Install

Im calm my friend.MM is a winder, sounds like a hater to me with a pretzel pole . He speaks filthy too.Not necessary.

Its there to inform the consumer , especially knowing their rights. For that alone its an essential nz publication with a great history. Often on national radio providing consumer info etc and what to do with dodgy purchases etc. Its testing and reviews are a great tool etc etc as above. Its the most neutral reviewer i know and far as i know not corruptible with giving favourable reviews etc. It doesn't have the usefulness it used to have before google turned up but i find it an essential tool to have in my box . Bought a vacuum cleaner recently reviewed on consumer for $100 its great , wasn't near consumers no 1 pic but that was more like a $1000.

Bought a vacuum cleaner recently reviewed on consumer for $100 its great , wasn't near consumers no 1 pic but that was more like a $1000.
    I'm please you found it helpful with your $100 decision making.

Heres another example. Trampolines. Of the Springfree (I have one), a 97% recommendation they say "This enclosed soft-edge springless trampoline is OK to assemble and easy to use." For a start its an absolute mare to assemble. You need strength and you need time. You MUST follow the instructions. And its "easy to use" - its a trampoline for petes sake. If you dont know how to jump up and down you proabnbyl need pictures in your magazines. That said - I would highly recommend it as a tramp - but to say it is OK to assemble is totally misleading..