sharetrader
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dean007 View Post
    Wow Beagle .. thank you, great work !
    Very succinct, with absolutely on point supporting evidence to substantiate your position.

As a newbie, I'm still learning and doing my due diligence, therefore find this an awesome read.
    Not holding a position in any of the above just yet

Reflecting on the "Financial health" and future prospects of the key players in this sector (as so succinctly layed out in your post ), makes for very interesting reading... paticularly for someone working directly in this sector (and for 3 of the aforementioned) From an on the floor level, privy to the all important work culture ... very interesting indeed.
    Thanks again Beagle .. great read!
    Sounds like you should take a position in all of them to start off with and then fine tune how much in each as you find out more ...and how they perform ...and that way you'll probably end up holding the winners

I just have SUM by the way
    Last edited by winner69; 19-03-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Cheers Winner69 ... I was inclined to do just that!
    Definitely will be in for the long hold, as one of my vehicles to Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    The best guide to future profit growth is past profit growth.
    Share prices follow earnings per share and anticipated sustainable earnings growth in the years ahead.

Some companies have very little history which renders any attempt to forecast 5 years ahead as little more than wild speculation.

RYM (Note when faced with a difficult exam question with multiple aspects too it, my approach was always to answer the easiest part first)
    Pretty sure you want to include RYM in your guesswork. (Please lets get this straight, forecasting one year ahead is hard work, anything further than that is little more than a partially educated guess at very best).

A useful yardstick for you reference. RYM's stated medium term objective is to grow underlying earnings at 15% per annum and their extremely long track record of doing just that on average gives the most useful benchmark for this sector. Rather conveniently to keep the mathematics relatively simple 15% growth compounded for five years means underlying earnings will double in five years time.
    If their forward PE of about 23 stays the same that will translate into a doubling of the share price from its current level.
    In my view RYM is fully and fairly priced and an investment in them will likely give a satisfactory market performance over the long haul. I think $20 or thereabouts is quite likely.

SUM
    Consistently N.Z. fastest growing retirement stock. Average growth rate over the last 6 years since listing is ~ 45%. This was off the back of significant refinement of their development model and increase in the build rate. Looking forward I expect slower and more steady growth that perhaps might average 20-25% in the five years ahead.
    I think the current PE is about 30% below where I see this in a few years time as they continue to prove their development capabilities so we could see PE expansion as well.
    $6.80 x 1.225 x 1.225 x 1.225 x 1.225 x 1.225 plus some PE expansion could see them at a similar price level to RYM's indicated above. I hold.

OCA
    This is the dark horse of the field with unproven development capability all we have to go on at this stage is the company is confident of meeting its IPO forecast of 8.42 cps for a 40% underlying profit growth on last year's figures. They have a large number of consented developments and their current year PE is just 11.75 so I expect steady profit growth in the years ahead and some improvement in their PE as they prove up their development capabilities. $2 to $2.50 would be my guess. I hold.

MET have a LOT of work to do to prove their development capabilities. I read a LOT into Infratil's decision to sell down their stake in MET last year. They know the company better than anyone on here and are fairly astute asset managers. I think many of MET's assets are slightly compromised and frankly I think its impossible for them to accurately assess the likely remediation cost of their villages that have suffered issues. I expect this company to underperform the sector. Perhaps around $10 in 5 years.

ARV - My preliminary analysis this week showed high single digit underlying profit growth on an EPS basis this year and next. They have been issuing A LOT of new scrip so headline profit will give a disingenuous view of underlying earnings per share profit growth. 70% of their revenue comes from the care sector which is highly susceptible to the serious increase in caregiver wages we've seen and which will rapidly increase in the years ahead. I think its likely this will also underperform. Maybe $2 per share in 5 years.

I see the capital gain potential (and have allocated capital accordingly) as SUM, OCA, RYM, ARV and MET. OCA more speculative than others but potential to surprise favorably is pretty good in my opinion.

Anyone who claims their crystal ball is crystal clear five years ahead should probably give up their day job and take up fortune telling
    Nice work Beagle. A pat on the back, and a scratch behind the ear. I know one thing. They will be NZ companies operating in and out of NZ. Great for NZers long term ownership.

Biased of course. I do have my finger in a few pies. Got a long way to go to get burnt and can't wait for them to get hot(ter).

SUM has made me a comfortable gain already. Divested a bit so I could also part take in other opportunities.

Excited. Very much so

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Craigs also like MET.
    Great to able to disagree with brokers.!
    I hold OCA,RYM and SUM.
    RYM with there growing number of villages in Australia could surprise us all.?
    It is a about a year on now. So it is interesting to compare the performances in the past year.

The following is for approx share price only:

OCA + 8.2%
    RYM +7.7%
    ARV +5.0%
    SUM +4.6%
    MET -12.7%

Despite a recent solid result, MET’s sp is still under water.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    It is a about a year on now. So it is interesting to compare the performances in the past year.

OCA + 8.2%
    RYM +7.7%
    ARV +5.0%
    SUM +4.6%
    MET -12.7%

Sad about the death at Kapiti MET.

OCA + 8.2%
    RYM +7.7%
    ARV +5.0%
    SUM +4.6%
    MET -12.7%

Its been a tough year although those quick on their feet and getting out of SUM at $8 or RYM at $14 and getting back in at current level's have done pretty well.
    Some dog actioned the former and called the latter.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

OCA + 8.2%
    RYM +7.7%
    ARV +5.0%
    SUM +4.6%
    MET -12.7%

Did you include dividends in the % ?
    The results could look a lot different ?
    Last edited by limmy; 05-03-2019 at 10:02 PM.

well guess they all went bad lol
    one step ahead of the herd

Another win for a low fee diversified global equity fund lol

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    well guess they all went bad lol
    I just checked on Sharesight the return (inc. divs) on my open investment since my post on 5/3/2019 in SUM.

SUM returned 10.7%pa versus benchmark of Smartshares nz top 50 return of 4.8%pa. OCA is DOWN and I am not sure about the others.

I added to my OCA when it hit Covid lows, so the open investment calculation, inc. dividends, would be skewed by that.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 05-10-2023 at 05:29 PM.