sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Andkat. Good work with the mortgage and house purchase. I would personally start investing ASAP.

Why? $1000 in this year may help you to get a very real feel for when you start to have real cash to invest.

IIMO, I recommend splitting your investments and NOT to put everything into a super fund. (You want to be self managed in the future and not reliant on that scheme). Your choice may vary, depending on your mentality etc)

I personally like term deposits for a rainy day. Long term outlooks with steady, low growth. Watch out for trying to get lucky with those shares that look like they may multiply 10x their value... it generally hasn't worked out like that in my experience.

Your home is an excellent investment with security for you to live in. Nicely done. That's an accomplishment many people can only dream of now in many large cities. It is possible , anything is with a lot of dedication and sacrifices. Luck generally isn't part of that.

Hope it all goes well for you and remember to DYOR. A industry you may have particular insight into are often the easier places to spot opportunities and threats.

Enjoy and make the investing fun
    Last edited by Food4Thought; 31-05-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Write up excitement fix up

I started at 26 with IFT at 50c ($500 total investment) and sold for 75c. Keep the start up and do your reading. I used a book by the Motley Fool blokes (a workbook) and took myself through two or three share choices and learned a lot from that discipline (you can also get Benjamin Graham’s book for free on the internet and that will help you a lot too - more and harder to digest but free). The first 1,000 is the hardest to get but if you downgrade your breakfast cereal to porridge and convert your instant coffee to twice used teabags, plus ask for cash instead of a gift from secret Santa, you should get there within the year. As soon as you have your 1,000 get in and buy your top pick share (just choose one so you can optimize any gain but of course you will maximize your loss).