sharetrader

Hybrid View

Default Wellington Property Market

HI Guys,

Looking at making a move to Wellington this year and wondering of the best areas in terms of value/investment. Just looking for any tips on what to look for? Also if there is any history to be aware of as far as leaky, or poor workmanship unique to Wellington.

Thanks in advance.

unique to wellington:
    - Most importantly, depending on which side of a hill you are on, your house may only get a few hours of sun - in which case it will be cold and damp
    - Be aware of high wind areas

Avoid the hutt. Gangs.

Most houses in Wellington are pretty poorly built (damp, leaky, poor drainage, earthquake damaged, etc). The market seems to be going up lots even over the past year. Rental demand is very high (I've been told).

As usually, check the traffic going to work and coming home during rush hour. This may rule out some areas or make some more favorable. All development is happening in the north (Tawa), which will put extra strain on the road coming in, in the future.

Nice areas:
    - Churton Park
    - Khandallah (regarded as the richest suburb) through to Karori (with Karori, note that houses nearer to the upper area are colder, I'm told)
    - Places North of Tawa

OK areas:
    - Johnsonville

Bad areas:
    - Lower Hutt
    - Upper Hutt
    - Parts of Petone
    - Tawa

Obviously, as with all of NZ, there are good and bad in each area. I don't know the areas around the city very well.

best of luck - its a great place to live.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    unique to wellington:
    - Most importantly, depending on which side of a hill you are on, your house may only get a few hours of sun - in which case it will be cold and damp
    - Be aware of high wind areas

Avoid the hutt. Gangs.

Most houses in Wellington are pretty poorly built (damp, leaky, poor drainage, earthquake damaged, etc). The market seems to be going up lots even over the past year. Rental demand is very high (I've been told).

As usually, check the traffic going to work and coming home during rush hour. This may rule out some areas or make some more favorable. All development is happening in the north (Tawa), which will put extra strain on the road coming in, in the future.

Nice areas:
    - Churton Park
    - Khandallah (regarded as the richest suburb) through to Karori (with Karori, note that houses nearer to the upper area are colder, I'm told)
    - Places North of Tawa

OK areas:
    - Johnsonville

Bad areas:
    - Lower Hutt
    - Upper Hutt
    - Parts of Petone
    - Tawa

Obviously, as with all of NZ, there are good and bad in each area. I don't know the areas around the city very well.

best of luck - its a great place to live.
    Hi NQ,
    Thought as a Wellingtonian I better correct some of this post .If you want someone to show you around when you are down happy to do that PM me.
    As always it would probably be best to maybe move here and rent for 6 months to a year to see what you like ,what works for you etc .
    We have our share of leaky buildings/houses here so beware of monolithic cladding .
    We have a reasonable public transport system compared to some places , so consider that when choosing your location.
    As for the judgements on areas, Khandallah richest suburb ( yeah right ) maybe people thought that in the 70's when it was still in the zone for Wellington College but as you will see from the attached links ( outdated but the trend is still intact) if it ever was it has been surpassed by many areas..
    Oriental Bay,Roseneath,Mount Victoria,Kelburn ,Seatoun,Eastbourne. Plus some pretty high priced inner city apartments.
    I think it is true as with all places there are good and bad in each area , but Petone is on a real charge at the moment, as is Lower Hutt, people are finding it hard to afford to rent in Wellington City.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/h...al-estate-boom
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...-property-club
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/pro...stings-plummet

Cheers

S/L

IMO

Anywhere close to Manners st, Cuba st is brilliant investment imo. Short walk to nearly everything, wonderful culture and arts, waterfront etc . Will always be a sort after location in demand. Luckily for me i have relatives there.

Will the high house prices and unaffordable rent damage businesses and the economy? I have seen students and some employees are struggling to pay rents in many countries which include New Zealand. They have to spend less for their other needs. Further increase in house prices and rent could lead to another crisis.

Anyone on the ground and have and ear on how the market been last few months ? Is it starting to turn ?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bung5 View Post
    Anyone on the ground and have and ear on how the market been last few months ? Is it starting to turn ?
    The site at the below link has monthly NZ wide reports from Trademe based on listed prices (not sale prices) for their listings. They have a lot of listings. The analysis always has good Wellington info, perhaps because they are based in Wellington.

There is also a similar analysis report for rentals, and that will tell you about demand and rents in Wellington

property.trademe.co.nz/market-insights/?tag=Property+Price+Index