sharetrader

Thread: Morningstar

Default Morningstar

First post - hi all. I'm a value investor by temperament and looking to invest in New Zealand, Australia and the States (if necessary to get access to good discounts - the FIF stuff seems a hassle and a huge drag on returns that are less than stellar).

Apologies if this is just a problem with the search function (I get nothing when searching Morningstar, for example, which seems weird), but I've been looking at research sites to join as I am OK with paying some money to get an initial steer on businesses i.e. to be more quickly able to sift through them. I've been looking at www.gurufocus.com, which is pretty pricey if you go for the bells and whistles (like a couple of grand a year for all markets and all functions, and no actual analysis of businesses by humans), and morningstar.com.au, which seems decent although coverage of New Zealand businesses is pretty limited (but they seem to have a decent reputation for their human analyses and are about $650 pa). I've also seen that Forsyth Barr do analyses for their customers.

Does anyone here use services like these, and have any comments?

Thanks in advance!
    Simple

Do the work yourself and you will become a far better investor >> plenty of good reading out there

If you join ANZ share investing you get free access to many analyst's reports BUY and SELL recommendations etc
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Thanks, I will be evaluating and making decisions myself, but if I can reduce the number of dead-ends I go up by having someone else do some legwork I'm happy to pay for it - Buffett etc all swear by Value Line as a source of ideas