sharetrader
Page 34 of 125 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast
    Auckland the only city that matters with the best looking Investors and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I presume you are referring to declining consumer price inflation, because asset price and especially real estate price inflation has not been dropping. I would suggest that inflation has not been good for workers in the last 40 years as the declining home ownership rate attests. The nation's assets have ended up being owned by a small percentage of its people?

Edit: Thanks FTG for your post. It is full of juicy information. I will need to read it a few times
    House prices have not increased in value, your purchasing power has decreased.

And if they increase the OCR too soon you will not get the chance to increase your income/ salary.
    Last edited by TeslaGod; 05-08-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by TeslaGod View Post

And if they increase the OCR too soon you will not get the chance to increase your income/ salary.
    He hasn’t got many options to sit around and Not raise the OCR , CPI above the band and Unemployment down at 4 %.
    There are a lot of price increases yet to come through , Placemakers has been advising this week of a raise in price for many products . Increased fuel costs will keep feeding through . Labour costs have risen and will continue to rise as many industries struggle to get workers .

Auckland the only city that matters with the best looking Investors and you know it.

Our inflation rate is 3.3%

The U.S is 5.4% and the sky isn't falling there.

There not even considering raising there OCR
    Neither is OZ or the EU.

If we raise the OCR we will fall further behind other countries in wage growth.

raising the OCR won't make imports any cheaper, you will just have less pricing power.

If Orr hasn't learned the lessons from past OCR increases ,

New Zealanders will pay the price for his mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    He hasn’t got many options to sit around and Not raise the OCR , CPI above the band and Unemployment down at 4 %.
    There are a lot of price increases yet to come through , Placemakers has been advising this week of a raise in price for many products . Increased fuel costs will keep feeding through . Labour costs have risen and will continue to rise as many industries struggle to get workers .
    Wage inflation is 2.1%

This is not creating inflation.QE and the virus has created inflation.These will pass.

If they raise the OCR, before the borders open NZ will be stuck in a low wage economy while other countries prosper.
    Last edited by TeslaGod; 05-08-2021 at 09:50 PM.

Advanced Member

Wage inflation is 2.1%

This is not creating inflation.QE and the virus has created inflation.These will pass.

If they raise the OCR, before the borders open NZ will be stuck in a low wage economy while other countries prosper.
    The OCR will probably be raised twice before the border opens ….

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    The OCR will probably be raised twice before the border opens ….
    According to bank economist and business media Yes.

And unfortunately that is the poison chalice.

Guru

Houses have increased in both price and relative value. Certainly $1 today does not buy what it used to - that is price inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Houses have increased in both price and relative value. Certainly $1 today does not buy what it used to - that is price inflation.
    That $1 purchasing power has been slashed due to events created by the US president in 1971.

The continuation of QE over that same time period has made your cash more and more worthless.

House prices have not increased your fiat currency has decreased along with its purchasing power.
    Last edited by TeslaGod; 06-08-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Permanent Newbie

As FTG and Milton Friedman point out inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon. Is that why interest rates can't rise. The velocity of money is falling but the amount of money is increasing. If people stop paying and borrowing larger and larger amounts for their houses will we get deflation as money creation decreases? My understanding is bank lending increases the money supply.

Brian Fallow from the herald seems fairly level headed and says interest rates should be on hold as things are precarious due to covid and its new strains.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...IYQ2S5UINMYCQ/
    TeslaGod is suggesting any increase in interest rates is a disaster.

I guess my view that capital should have a price is at the extreme.

Years after the pain of the recessions Paul Volcker created to combat inflation in some circles he is viewed as a hero, but I imagine at the time he was vilified. History will be the judge but I don't have that many years left so it is very frustrating for me as I try to find investment opportunities.

It is hard to know what to do but these sentiments should be pushing up the price of gold as the purchasing power of fiat currencies decreases. Just wish young speculators had the same faith in gold as they do in BitCoin. A house and a mortgage might prove to be a better inflation hedge.

That $1 purchasing power has been slashed due to events created by the US president in 1971.

The continuation of QE over that same time period has made your cash more and more worthless.

House prices have not increased your fiat currency has decreased along with its purchasing power.
    Anotherwords, what you are saying is simply called "inflation"

Inflation is simply the loss in purchasing power over time and QE is not the only key factor influencing inflation.