sharetrader

Threaded View

Quiet Observer

...then you must belong on that camp of those that own lots of residential properties.

Your % difference does not change the fact, vast majority population in Canada or Australia do not use houses as a vehicle to make their riches.

Don't try to justify the means why NZ houses are unaffordable to MOST of the general population by saying it's the same in other OECD nations. It's not. Those countries have done far more for the middle working class than NZ has ever done. But i'm not trying to skew and change the topic. It's not a justification that say Sydney is as expensive as Auckland despite they have CGT. You need to look at the struggles of the middle class and low income workers in both parts. When a high % of houses are in rental state, that means more of the population can't afford to own their 1st home.[/QUOTE]

SBQ.....just settle a little huh. .........You are jumping around with a pumped up chest like an over-excited teenager on their first date. And, once again making wild assumptions. In this case on which "camp" I'm in and my opinions on what is driving the deterioration in house affordability in NZ. If you want to successfully "argue" on a forum site then my suggestion to you is keep your boundaries clear on what is fact and what is your opinion. Dressing up your opinion & assumptions as fact is not going to help you win any solidly principled based argument.

You may want to pause & consider that I made NO reference to your "landlordism" opinions. I simply held you to account for your glib assertions re the numerical facts regarding other cities/markets.

Whilst discussing & sticking to the facts, here is something further for you to consider. The MAJORITY of NZ housing stock is still clearly owner-occupied. Yes, the % has reduced over the decades (peaked around 75% in the 90's from memory), but it still sits around 65% today. Meaning up-to only 35% are owned by landlords. When compared to other markets, it's very similar actually. Home ownership figures elsewhere:

Australia - 67%
    Canada - 68%
    UK - 65%
    USA - 66%
    Denmark & Sweden (supposedly very "progressive & modern" countries) - 61 & 64%

These facts are a little confronting for you perhaps, but I trust that it makes you pause and reflect a little more on your epistemological framework. Just maybe you will consider that there are some other key drivers to why we are getting the current outcomes in NZ, and just maybe they relate back to the Subject Line of this forum thread. ;-)

QUOTE: ASSUME - and you will end up making an ASS out of U & ME
    Last edited by FTG; 01-05-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    Success is a journey AND a destination!