sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mining stocks for portfolio

My Australian part of my portfolio contains BHP and Rio. I would like to add a few more mining stocks as long term holds with growth potential. Would Woodside Petroleum, Oil Search, Alumina be recommended, other suggestions would be appreciated or do I just add to BHP since it is well diversified?

Quote Originally Posted by voltage View Post
    My Australian part of my portfolio contains BHP and Rio. I would like to add a few more mining stocks as long term holds with growth potential. Would Woodside Petroleum, Oil Search, Alumina be recommended, other suggestions would be appreciated or do I just add to BHP since it is well diversified?
    I'm biased, but dual-listed ASX/NZX gold mining stock NTL for longer term growth potential.

Expected to be next to no environmental impact once production starts and productivity ramps up - Waste rock and tailings will be filled back into the mine.
    Although low overall total ounces at present, they have insanely huge grams per tonnage and will be exploring new areas of the existing mine with upside to increase total ounces.
    Cheap entry as well ATM.

Dear Volt...Have a wee look at NMT WFE AUL AGY LPD...yes I own all...yes they are penny stocks..you can have a wee nibble for not much outlay...cheers

Voltage

If you want a piece of the EV/battery metal disruption action, nickel, copper, lithium, cobalt, vanadium and graphite are where you want to be.

Nickel - WSA, IGO
    Copper - OZL, SFR, MLX
    Lithium - KDR, TAW, NMT, MIN + an interesting alternative EV play, MNS

Few to read about in there, i own/follow these companies

Quote Originally Posted by voltage View Post
    My focus is on the Micro-jnr cap mining shares so maybe not what your risk profile is looking for when your talking BHP RIO in the sector

But if you keen on muti bagger with more risk added I'd highly recommend the micro-jnr cap ASX gold explorers / developers

like EAR , IRC(vanadium interests), WWI personal I see these three making me ?00,000's AUD over the next 12 months
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Hi JBM, thanks for sharing, you clearly have a great flare for picking junior miners (based on track record in the ASX comps)
    They're way outside my sphere of competence, however years ago I had a bit of success when a newsletter I subscribed to picked one from time to time, and I'd jump in when there was decent insider buying.
    Small sample so not sure if that was a fluke. Is insider buying an important indicator for you, especially for hard to value speculative miners?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
    Hi JBM, thanks for sharing, you clearly have a great flare for picking junior miners (based on track record in the ASX comps)
    They're way outside my sphere of competence, however years ago I had a bit of success when a newsletter I subscribed to picked one from time to time, and I'd jump in when there was decent insider buying.
    Small sample so not sure if that was a fluke. Is insider buying an important indicator for you, especially for hard to value speculative miners?
    Yes insider buying certainly better than selling which we are getting some in IRC from the biggest two holders which have been holding for a very long time ..personal don't see it being a big issue going forward if the guys want to take some money off the table.

Generally I find the smaller end of town move so much more on Micro factors like Mgmt competence(results to date) and cash and cashflow,debt etc
    more day to day running, where the Big caps get affected much more by Marco factors like geo-political outcomes , commondity prices, International market moves, Currency movements etc

So much more risk and work dealing with the small caps but much better returns as to why a guy like me that has targets of 100%+ return pa must focus the bulk of my trading funds into the space where one can get big returns over a shorter timeframe..
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7cC...ature=youtu.be

MD for WWI on the company > worth some 15mill AUD ..upside is HUGE but risk adverse investment

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Generally I find the smaller end of town move so much more on Micro factors like Mgmt competence(results to date) and cash and cashflow,debt etc
    more day to day running, where the Big caps get affected much more by Marco factors like geo-political outcomes , commondity prices, International market moves, Currency movements etc
    Thank you JBM, it's great to get insights into what's behind your picks. I would concur completely regarding small caps in general - no doubt management, balance sheet and cashflow are absolutely fundamental; moreover founder managers with large stakes tend to focus on return on capital and outperform those who just grow revenues - and salaries - for their own sake.

thanks for all the comments, probably I want to stick with the big stocks, less risk for long term portfolio.