sharetrader
    Advanced Member

Default Mycoplasma bovis outbreak

For a traditionally agricultural based economy I am amazed at the spread of this disease ...or maybe I shouldn't be .
    From an an initial few farms this has now hit the Waikato .
    About the latest confirmed outbreak they have said this "It was, however, not a huge surprise, given the sheer number of farms we are uncovering that have received cows and calves from affected farms."It's a reality of New Zealand's farming system that large numbers of animals are sold and moved across big distances. This response is serving to underline just how much movement takes place and it is this, coupled with poor record keeping through NAIT that is making our job very challenging."
    I can't undestand how they were not onto this earlier , the major risk to NZ is obviously Foot & Mouth with the performance we have seen so far in this current outbreak it does not leave me with any confidence in the current system .This will be a drag on the dairy sector for sometime.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...n-waikato-farm

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    For a traditionally agricultural based economy I am amazed at the spread of this disease ...or maybe I shouldn't be .
    From an an initial few farms this has now hit the Waikato .
    About the latest confirmed outbreak they have said this "It was, however, not a huge surprise, given the sheer number of farms we are uncovering that have received cows and calves from affected farms."It's a reality of New Zealand's farming system that large numbers of animals are sold and moved across big distances. This response is serving to underline just how much movement takes place and it is this, coupled with poor record keeping through NAIT that is making our job very challenging."
    I can't undestand how they were not onto this earlier , the major risk to NZ is obviously Foot & Mouth with the performance we have seen so far in this current outbreak it does not leave me with any confidence in the current system .This will be a drag on the dairy sector for sometime.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...n-waikato-farm
    Agree entirely.NAIT a useless piece of S###T if farmers don't put their transfers into the system & powers that be turn a blind eye.The BIG STICK is needed.NAIT asleep at the wheel.

Update Ready To Install

Its an Inconvienient truth . So right stop loss. Attitudes and systems need to change and become rapid response and not so cumbersome, take no responsibility, slow , beauricratic monolith. It starts with the frontline, the farmers (in this case) with a blasť attitude. Mycoplasma was first detected re july 2017!!!

And our biosecurity and customs ops are so lightweight and inefficient, and underfunded imo . It seems we will end up with all the noxious weeds and pests and diseases that the rest of the world has; its not a matter of if but when. And we cant upset the inbound tourists by being thorough, checking to see what prohibited items and diseases they bring in( and they sure do try ), with every piece of baggage .

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Agree entirely.NAIT a useless piece of S###T if farmers don't put their transfers into the system & powers that be turn a blind eye.The BIG STICK is needed.NAIT asleep at the wheel.
    It should have taken a day to round up & quarantine infected & in contact herds if NAIT was running as it should be.MB is only spread mechanicalyl through direct contact with infected animal,milk,needle or instruments
    https://www.dairynz.co.nz/animal/cow...oplasma-bovis/
    Well look out if we get F&M.The S****T will hit the fan big time when it aerosols.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    This will be a drag on the dairy sector for sometime.
    Erm, what about the 60% of the cost of trying to control this being picked up by the taxpayer and the compensation to be paid to farmers if their stock is culled. This will be a drag on a a lot more wallets than just the farmers. At this stage it's too late to control, stop the cull and accept MPB is here to stay.

If there are failures on farmers part cant see why tax payer should be doing any sort of bail out. MPI action (or lack) doesn't surprise me. I've been following a wine case and that has taken several years to get anywhere and its still a long way from respolution.

This disease has been here a lot longer than what we realise. As they say, it was only detected by a foreign vet who had seen the symptoms before, otherwise it may of not even been found now. I said a while ago it was just the beginning, this will be wide spread al over nz and there is no way to stop it now. So yes they may as well stop the culling and see how we can live with it and manage it. I don't even think they will be able to trace it back to how it really got here. Farmer just think nait was another tax on them, but now they will start to take it seriously.