sharetrader

Default Looking for long term growth/divdends for my daugther

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good company/ ies to invest my daughter's savings in, (shes 8) and Ive been putting $20 a week aside since before she was born.
    I was thinking maybe about a property company or something for a good dividie, and something with growth ??

Thoughts??

Advanced Member

Check out dividendyield.co.nz

This was developed by birmanboy who posts on here, though I haven't seen him lately.

Advanced Member

I tried doing the same thing for my daughters 1000 a year .To cut a long story short way easier imo to put it into a managed fund .They are very happy with their PIE funds investment , although
    I keep the details of the amounts quiet or else it would burn a whole in the pocket of my youngest .Anyway nice house deposit for them one day .

Dilettante

I have been doing this for my 2 now grown up daughters for a long time and they now both have a healthy deposit saved for the first home when they decide to. I would recommend you don´t focus too much on current dividend yield, if investing for a young child for the very long term. Look for reliable growth companies and if they have sustainable dividends that are growing, then all the better.
    Look at industries you believe in. Hard to go past retirement industry and great companies like SUM & RYM (my daughters have done very well out of both). HBL is my banking pick with steadily growing profits and dividends.
    Horticulture is growing fast in NZ so SEK has been my choice there and done very well. Tourism is on a roll so the likes of THL are worth a look.
    Then of course mix it with some utilities such as Auckland Airport, POT (even though personally I think they´re very fully priced right now), power generators and property funds are always a stable part of portfolio, but personally I have regarded SUM & RYM as my exposure to property.
    FPH has been and is likely to be a great growth share for a long term portfolio.
    Then of course you have the A2 growth story if you buy into it, which I did years ago and it has been astounding. But future no doubt will be rocky from these current lofty heights.

Anyway, just some ponderings from me. The shares mentioned above are not reccomendations, more a guide to what has worked for me in a similar situation.
    DYOR and good luck with this great idea. You will not regret it and your child/children will be better off later in life for it.

p.s. I realise if you´re putting in $20 per month it is difficult to buy shares as most would be taken up in fees but in my case I just added their shares to my portfolio in a spreadsheet and avoided fees for them by lining theim up with my own portfolio
    Last edited by iceman; 14-06-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Addition

Considering the long term nature of the investment and small regular payments I would consider an ETF as opposed to buying in individual shares. Search for Smartshares, Sharesies and Simplicity.

I believe Smartshares allows monthly payments of $50 which would suit you.
    Last edited by unhuman; 14-06-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unhuman View Post
    Considering the long term nature of the investment and small regular payments I would consider an ETF as opposed to buying in individual shares. Search for Smartshares, Sharesies and Simplicity.

I believe Smartshares allows monthly payments of $50 which would suit you.
    Yes definitely agree with that

Quote Originally Posted by alliswell View Post
    Hi All,

I'm looking for a good company/ ies to invest my daughter's savings in, (shes 8) and Ive been putting $20 a week aside since before she was born.
    I was thinking maybe about a property company or something for a good dividie, and something with growth ??

Thoughts??
    Why something with a dividend payment? If it's for your daughter I'd suggest something growth focused and all dividends received reinvested back in. As they have a long time horizon and high-risk tolerance by being able to wait out any global downturn (take a look at the S&P500 - the financial crash was just a little bump in the road so long as you could hold and not sell at the lowest point) your best bet would be one of the stock market index funds maybe something like a total world stock market index which diversifies over about ~8000+ companies.

That said a couple questions;

"What are your investment and personal goals for the money?"
    "How long time horizon are you looking at"
    e.g. are we looking at 10 years by the time they are 18 for university or are we looking at 20+ years for say house buying at say 30is or are you wanting to help them hit financial independence by <40.
    "What is your risk tolerance e.g. if the balance reduced 50% - would you see that as 'hey things are on discount' let buy more or would you see that as i've lost money (only if you sell).

My wife and I decided on SuperLife’s myFutureFund for our daughter. The investment is in her name with ability for regular contributions but we act as guardian/ decision makers until she is old enough. More info here: www.superlife.co.nz/invest-for-children