sharetrader
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

An interesting concept that would unlikely happen though I do know a guy who sold his business and put most of the proceeds in to just one listed stock (several million dollars worth). I went back thru my NZ stocks held ten years ago that are still held today to see how they have performed over the decade on a capital gain plus net dividend yield basis. My best performers in this category with the highest IRR's for the decade are South Port, Restaurant Brands and Ebos. Would I be happy to lock a million dollars in to one of these three for another ten years? Yes, quite possibly!

normally trade but i discovered a few yrs ago when contacted by old address owner i still owned 100 shares in micheal hill (entered the wrong amount when sold obviously lol ) brought in 1995 lol my 10c divs have now increased to over $2 havent sold as the brokerage is to much and its getting harder now to find anything to spend my divs on.
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Hmm some very interesting replies. If someone would have asked me 10 years ago I would have said AIA or POT. Now with macro environments changing I'd go for SUM or RYM (watch those baby boomers with multiple properties retire) or IFT (I like their change in investment approach). However if these were my only million and I'd have nothing else I would invest it in government bonds. We seem to be in bubble territory and I'm not sure that the next 10 years is enough for that money to survive the crash and recovery.

Handsome Member

RYM and SUM is where I would leave the million bux. $12.05 and $7.85. Would like to visit this thread in 10 years time and see how things have changed or not changed.

Quote Originally Posted by silu View Post
    Hmm some very interesting replies. If someone would have asked me 10 years ago I would have said AIA or POT. Now with macro environments changing I'd go for SUM or RYM (watch those baby boomers with multiple properties retire) or IFT (I like their change in investment approach). However if these were my only million and I'd have nothing else I would invest it in government bonds. We seem to be in bubble territory and I'm not sure that the next 10 years is enough for that money to survive the crash and recovery.
    I went with RYM however I can see regulatory change on the horizon for the rest home care sector in the next ten years unless they lobby very well. Being involved with multiple substantial businesses...I really think the life cycle of business was a lot more certain in the past ten years rather than what we face today going forward the next decade. If you talk to VCs the yard stick for ROI has moved from 25% to 35% over the past ten years. That is a reflection of life cycle of a business model.

So.....now that we all have our favorite stock that we can trust the question becomes what are we going to do about it ? Disc: Even though I think its very expensive I bought some Rym last week and plan on buying small further stakes every second month for the rest of this year and possibly into 2019. (Averaging my re-entry price, I have done well out of Rym in the past but its time to make my past my future again). SUM other stocks are also likely to come in for top-up's for long term hold.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Super Investor

There was one criteria not stipulated and that was the date from which the 10 years started so maybe you could wait until after 'the crash'.
    h2

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post
    There was one criteria not stipulated and that was the date from which the 10 years started so maybe you could wait until after 'the crash'.
    Good point. For the sake of this exercise I'd hold on to it in a term deposit and buy after, and lets use less dramatic language, the correction.

Super Investor

Good point. For the sake of this exercise I'd hold on to it in a term deposit and buy after, and lets use less dramatic language, the correction.
    'The correction' yes of course....LOL
    h2

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    How doe's one do that ???????

on 0800 7293863
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”