sharetrader
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Your $1m inheritance is locked for 10 years in one company, which one ?

I was brushing up on a little bit of Buffet today and thought I'd play a little theoretical exercise this weekend. I have my answer already but will post that on Monday.

Congratulations, you just inherited one million dollars and there are just two conditions. Its to be held in trust for you and all dividends received reinvested and you can't touch it for 10 years. You can only choose one company to invest the full amount into. Which company do you choose and why ?
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I'd probably go with SUM. Pretty safe and should grow quite a bit.

Banned

Not many companies on the NZX you could feel easy about leaving that amount of money in for 10 years, one name springs instantly to mind and that is RYM. Look at their history and delivery of wealth into shareholders hands since they first listed.

percy

HBL, or TRA,or MEL or GNE,or EBO.or POT,or MFT,and or as Couta1, RYM..
    Last edited by percy; 22-06-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Guru

I would cheat and probably say FNZ.

But if one company was the answer, I would go either MHJ, TRA, or SUM.

New Zealand's very own BRK... got to be IFT for me.

Energy/Accommodation/Data/Transport & Essential Infrastructure all rolled into one well managed, discounted, phat dividend payer.
    Last edited by hardt; 22-06-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Easy.
    Ryman healthcare.

Theres no company / management I trust more
    Last edited by Patient Panda; 22-06-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Advanced Member

At today’s prices ATM. With a bit more knowledge about their business which is coming up OCA. Just too early to say do it.

Come on guys, you only get ONE choice, which one and why ?
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

My pick is XRO. The business is expected to achieve 1 million Uk customers in the next 3-4 years and there are plenty of other markets to enter too. Even if the US expectations are not met it will soon start generating a profit and once the tipping point is reached it will become a real cash cow. At the end of 10 years my 1 million will be worth truckloads. When is my million going to paid over?
    If I can't pick an ASX listed company, then my choice is ATM for similar cash cow (pardon the pun) reasons.
    "Don't be afraid to take a big step if one is indicated. You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps." David Lloyd George