sharetrader
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

https://rmarine.nz/models/395-suv/ An investment in fun and good times.
    Last edited by Beagle; 18-04-2022 at 05:24 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Did you manage to sell your Russian holdings.?
    Speaking of leaving money in a dictatorship for 10 years! No currently unable to liquidate. Both the official and on street in Moscow exchange rate is better than when I bought and Sberbank share price has recovered on the MOEX but with restricted selling its probably not a real price. So I might find out the answer to my own question.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Speaking of leaving money in a dictatorship for 10 years! No currently unable to liquidate. Both the official and on street in Moscow exchange rate is better than when I bought and Sberbank share price has recovered on the MOEX but with restricted selling its probably not a real price. So I might find out the answer to my own question.
    After having a wine I found your reply rather funny...........Sorry if I should not have.!!!

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Your most sensible post in a long time.......................
    Well today any way....lol
    Last edited by percy; 18-04-2022 at 06:17 PM.

I'll go with the "fun and good times" (if you actually go to sea) but investment???

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    I'll go with the "fun and good times" (if you actually go to sea) but investment???
    https://boattest.com/article/future-...ource=hs_email Cost of a new one is only going to go one way.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

https://boattest.com/article/future-...ource=hs_email Cost of a new one is only going to go one way.
    True - but would you accept that as justification for one of your clients calling the purchase of a flash boat "an investment?

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    True - but would you accept that as justification for one of your clients calling the purchase of a flash boat "an investment?
    Depends how you define investment. People buy Art, holiday homes, classic vehicles and so on that they don't use much and hope they go up. Our last boat held its value really well from new and we had awesome fun over the years on it and enjoyed it heaps. You could argue that many happy times with friends and family while the kids were young is the greatest dividend of all. I don't regret one minute of it. My policy has always been that you should enjoy some of the spoils of your hard work and investment along the way. Go figure why some people just think the accumulation of money is a goal unto itself and they have no clear plan on how they will ever enjoy their wealth ? What's the point of being the richest person in a secure lock up unit in a dementia ward ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 19-04-2022 at 09:41 AM.

All absolutely true - and if you check back over this and other threads you will see that I have consistently advised you to go to sea or go fishing when you have been feeling down.

And I have just arranged to have a power winch with remote fitted to my trailer so that I can launch and retrieve my dory on my own and extend its "useful life" a bit further into my dotage.

But that's a different usage of the term "investment" from the criteria you normally advocate so elegantly and eloquently. Enjoy!

Yes I have appreciated your encouragement and enthusiasm for all things nautical, thank you. Unfortunately the first available production slot on that Riviera 395 is not available until December 2024.