sharetrader
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA180...alth-pilot.htm That's just great, (sarcasm intended)...why don't they just throw these people under a bus while they're at it.
    This was a good pilot that should continue and so easy could if they wished.At the same time they just settled a pay equity claim for the mental health sector back dated to 1 July 2017, it did not need to be backdated that far given the tax rates on the lump sum at a higher proportion of it will be returned to the crown regardless.

This government needs to sell its actions better, a great deal of the industrial relations issues now are as a result of the age care sector loss under National...
    Last edited by Raz; 18-07-2018 at 06:29 AM.

This confirms the sentiment of what I am hearing from small business owners.
    Small business confidence at its lowest ebb since the depths of the GFC in March 2009. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12092273
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

This confirms the sentiment of what I am hearing from small business owners.
    Small business confidence at its lowest ebb since the depths of the GFC in March 2009. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12092273
    All part of the big plan to get rid of unproductive businesses and move that capital to more productive businesses / sectors

Essentially saying if they can’t pay staff heaps more as well as cope with current economic conditions they shouldn’t be in business.

How does a suburban accountant counsel his clients who are feeling a bit down these days?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    All part of the big plan to get rid of unproductive businesses and move that capital to more productive businesses / sectors

Essentially saying if they can’t pay staff heaps more as well as cope with current economic conditions they shouldn’t be in business.

How does a suburban accountant counsel his clients who are feeling a bit down these days?

I doubt it would only be suburban accountants.

Good question mate. I'm advising clients to be very cautious in this environment. Don't take any unnecessary risks, (be very conservative) and don't go out on a limb in regard to any project, capex item or offer of employment to extra staff hoping "she'll be right" because it probably won't be. My sense is there's a real chance this big left wing social experiment ends in tears for a lot of people and my role is to try and help ensure none of those are my clients. Personally, I'm battening down the hatches in terms of any capex. I guess if every small business does that its almost inevitable we end up in recession...
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-07-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Good question mate. I'm advising clients to be very cautious in this environment. Don't take any unnecessary risks, (be very conservative) and don't go out on a limb in regard to any project, capex item or offer of employment to extra staff hoping "she'll be right" because it probably won't be. My sense is there's a real chance this big left wing social experiment ends in tears for a lot of people and my role is to try and help ensure none of those are my clients. Personally, I'm battening down the hatches in terms of any capex. I guess if every small business does that its almost inevitable we end up in recession...

Tony Alexander made a good point the other day

.....That is one reason why businesses are failing despite a strong economy and if you are supplying a business in a strong sector you should not assume payment is guaranteed. Plenty of businesses these days are trading beyond their means making bold assumptions about finance, costs, labour availability etc. and when they go down you risk getting dragged under as well if your exposure is great.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Tony Alexander made a good point the other day

.....That is one reason why businesses are failing despite a strong economy and if you are supplying a business in a strong sector you should not assume payment is guaranteed. Plenty of businesses these days are trading beyond their means making bold assumptions about finance, costs, labour availability etc. and when they go down you risk getting dragged under as well if your exposure is great.
    Good point mate. All the basics need to be managed carefully. As you quite rightly point out if one customer gets too big and one has supplied a lot of products and services on standard commercial terms and they start to get behind, get in quick, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" One client in the construction sector is really struggling to get paid for his work at present, super slow payment terms in that industry is a really serious issue. He told me the other day he could write an entire book with the creative excuses he's been told as to why customers can't pay him on normal commercial terms.
    Cash flow is the lifeblood of business. I am advising people to keep their noses clean and maintain tight discipline around their costs including their personal spending.
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-07-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Good point mate. All the basics need to be managed carefully. As you quite rightly point out if one customer gets too big and one has supplied a lot of products and services on standard commercial terms and they start to get behind, get in quick, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" One client in the construction sector is really struggling to get paid for his work at present, super slow payment terms in that industry is a really serious issue. He told me the other day he could write an entire book with the creative excuses he's been told as to why customers can't pay him on normal commercial terms.
    Cash flow is the lifeblood of business. I am advising people to keep their noses clean and maintain tight discipline around their costs including their personal spending.
    Sounds like Auckland SMEs are catching what has been in the South for while now..drinks with a few CAs in Queenstown last night made it clear the problem is spreading across the entire country. For CAs struggling for fees growth I hear...

Yeah lets all work in the Local or Government sector...it will end in tears... Governments do not understand the SME sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Sounds like Auckland SMEs are catching what has been in the South for while now..drinks with a few CAs in Queenstown last night made it clear the problem is spreading across the entire country. For CAs struggling for fees growth I hear...
    Yes I hear there's plenty of young ambitious practitioners getting a reality check on what growth, if any, they can achieve through hard work and ambition, a reality check that will be exacerbated by current economic conditions and level's of pessimism.