sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where from here - your suggestions please

I purchased into five main stock early this bull run as that is all the time I had to follow on the US markets. Main job self employment...

Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Google were four of them and they have really fuelled the nine-year bull market, the second-longest behind the rally that ended in 2000. Their successes really is propelling the broader US economy, which is on track for its fastest growth rate in a decade.

If these stocks splutter the whole US economy and market will move with them. Time to diversify or run with the corporate consolidation trend until it falters...

what do you think and suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I purchased into five main stock early this bull run as that is all the time I had to follow on the US markets. Main job self employment...

Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Google were four of them and they have really fuelled the nine-year bull market, the second-longest behind the rally that ended in 2000. Their successes really is propelling the broader US economy, which is on track for its fastest growth rate in a decade.

If these stocks splutter the whole US economy and market will move with them. Time to diversify or run with the corporate consolidation trend until it falters...

what do you think and suggest.
    As economic cycles are normal and common knowledge leans towards not being able to pick or time the market.

Questions to ask: Does this investment enable me to meet my personal, and financial goals in line with my time horizon and risk tolerance.

While risks aka volatility in say the S&P500 index has increased in 2018 global forecasts are still positive with a slight slowing towards the end of 2019. You mentioned buying early in the bull run. I guess the question is do you need the money now or can you wait another 10 years if the market tanked 50%. 50% prob wouldn't be too bad either if you have been in the bull run since the start.

Thanks for your reply FIsaver...just decided to just take a measured amount off the table although for now those funds will not be returning to NZ until needed... given the current forex trend.

I agree even a 50% hit to the current price would not be the end of the world to my personal investment although where it would leave financial market confidence is another matter :-)

Buy into a more balanced exposure such as Scottish Mortgage or Monks both by Baillie Gifford SMT.L or MNKS.L.....I think there are others with similar exposure but I like BG as a manager - note: I have mnks as smt not quite balanced enough for me.

For once in my life I may well have sold down at the top..who would think that would ever happen!

Only just found this thread. Congrats Raz on the timing of your sale. The Fangs will remain under pressure in my opinion. Value is the new cool place to invest for 2019 and 2020 in my opinion.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Well done Raz on selling...I too sold some of my more heavily exposed holdings and am thankful for it now! I have put my “spare” cash into some value NZX listed stocks and am reserving more GBP purchases for a few more weeks (for obvious reasons!).

IMO

Weird isn't it how quickly things change ,my APX is zooming back up not far off its high ,PE 76.50 and my RMD at a new high with PE 53.56!

Guru

"index fund inflows are now distorting prices for stocks and bonds in much the same way that CDO purchases did for subprime mortgages more than a decade ago. The flows will reverse at some point, he said, and “it will be ugly” when they do."
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-s...104146627.html