sharetrader
    Advanced Member

Default One news Do we live in NZ or the US?

It pretty hard to tell, ridiculous amount of coverage of a storm in the US, bad for them, but really who gives a **** about some first world problem in Carolina.
    There 1000s killed in natural disaster all the time in other parts of the world with barely a comment, but these days One news is just like an extension of the US news.

Not worth watching, not that it really was anyway, but the balance has gone way too far towards the US

Advanced Member

Now it a gas explosion where One person died. Ok so a chimney fell on the poor feckers car, but do we really have to hear about it for Five minutes

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Now it a gas explosion where One person died. Ok so a chimney fell on the poor feckers car, but do we really have to hear about it for Five minutes
    Yep totally agree.

Who watched news nowadays? I gave up years ago when 45 minutes ( or so it seemed) was dedicated to the weather and adverts

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Who watched news nowadays? I gave up years ago when 45 minutes ( or so it seemed) was dedicated to the weather and adverts
    They do say that giving up news is good for one's mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Totally agree, still on about gas explosions tonight. Local news reporting is limited. Far easier to get stuff from overseas mainly the US. or copy from
    SKY

westerly

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    Totally agree, still on about gas explosions tonight. Local news reporting is limited. Far easier to get stuff from overseas mainly the US. or copy from
    SKY

westerly
    Most of tonight was Jacinda (and Winnie and James) putting on a show and Simon saying it was a lot of crap ......and then we got a lecture from the union leader.
    I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothng Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Most of tonight was Jacinda (and Winnie and James) putting on a show and Simon saying it was a lot of crap ......and then we got a lecture from the union leader.
    I'm absolutely "devastated" I missed the news tonight lol
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

To read a transcript of the TV news takes about 3 1/2 minutes or so.

In the time it takes to watch the TV news and associated advertising and self-promotion, you can skim half a dozen online newspapers to get a fairly decent overview of what's going on in the world, and follow up about two dozen interesting and personally-relevant articles.

If you are going to watch it, then My Sky it - fast forward through all the crap.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    If you are going to watch it, then My Sky it - fast forward through all the crap.
    That is what we do. We find we have the news done in about 10 mins and that is because I generally use 5 mins for the sport and 2 mins for the weather.

The problem really comes down to the news and the headlines. So many people have had their "minds blown" by stunning headlines there isn't mush left rattling around inside their heads. So the media has to dumb things down to compensate.

Permanent Newbie

Agreed I don't worry about watching the news anymore, but admit I am part of the problem. Interesting headlines, storms, volcanoes, explosions, pretty women tend grab my attention and I will give it a couple of seconds of my time but although I do think reporting should be more indepth and that it should help people gain perspective and understanding of important issues or events rather than sensationalising or blowing up the trivial out of all proportion to its relevance. When news is detailed and in depth I usually don't bother reading or watching it when it gets educational as I seem to prefer sensational infotainment that is not too taxing on the brain and doesn't really matter anyway.