sharetrader
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Yep, just finished backing up the truck and cleaned out the remaining shares of offer at $1.19 in OCA. Compelling fundamental's and long term growth story.
    Good onya for clearing that level. Next step $1.20

Might be time to start getting into investing in fine art and collectables. Apparently, fine wines can be quite lucrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboyz View Post
    Might be time to start getting into investing in fine art and collectables. Apparently, fine wines can be quite lucrative.
    While wine (and other collectables) can be profitable and there are plenty of stories of investors doing very well, the markets are highly illiquid, price transparency is poor, price spreads and transaction costs are high, there is negative cash flow from storage fees and insurance and there are risks of damage from various causes. If you do invest in wine, you will need to be able to show provenance (i.e. that the wines have been legitimately sourced and properly stored from the moment they left the chateaux) or your sales price will be heavily discounted.

The most significant risk is that what starts as an investment in a new asset class for your portfolio ends up being a very expensive investment in future drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboyz View Post
    reckon id just end up consuming my investment

Getting electorate buy in for a new tax will be a hard sell even in the most favourable circumstances.

Given the thought leader for the tax paid silly money to buy back Transrail and the execution skills displayed so far by the Coalition Government are woeful I can't see this new tax gaining electoral support.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

A Sugar Tax could well be on the table. So I might invest in some bulk supplies and sell them off for a capital gain.

There is of course the not so small hurdle of getting past winston.NZ First will never vote for a CGT bill.Also remember Andrew Little was not keen on bringing in CGT.There are just to many hurdles for Jacinda to climb over with the coalition she has,she would have to be ruling alone(or just with the greens) to pull it off,and I can't see that happening in the near future

2 ways to tax

would tax the gain in assets when they are sold (except the family home). At up to 33%

accrual tax, which would tax certain assets on an annual rate of return deemed by IRD - known as the risk-free rate of return (RFRM) - but which would also exempt the family home.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12128604

no 1 better i reckon more simpler

the other question would be i guess the end of the pie fund regime?
    Last edited by bull....; 20-09-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    one step ahead of the herd

I was.going to start a new thread to ask but may as well put it here.

Under the current regime, what criteria do they use to seperate between trading and investing for the purpose of tax?

Always been a gray area of some confusion in my mind.

(I do not do a lot of transactions and the vast majority are buys)
    Last edited by Patient Panda; 20-09-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patient Panda View Post
    I was.going to start a new thread to ask but may as well put it here.

Under the current regime, what criteria do they use to seperate between trading and investing for the purpose of tax?

Always been a gray area of some confusion in my mind.

(I do not do a lot of transactions and the vast majority are buys)
    Accountants her can be more specific. But generally relys on purpose of the Share buy at the time of the buy. So if you buy with the intention of selling at a greater price tax is payable on gain. If purpose is to enjoy divi's tax isnt payable on eventual sale.