sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default investing $50000 short term

If I was to invest $50000 for less than a year would you park this money in NZ shares?

No as a year is too short to make good on shares.

Yes quite right. Super high probability you'll make money in shares over 20 years. Over 10 years? Pretty good chance. Less than that time frame, it's pretty much a crap shoot.

I try to remember those stats in this crazy bull market.

I think the above is sensible advice with the caveat that its about risk and reward. If you are prepared to accept that we're late stage bull cycle so we could see considerable variability around short term returns some opportunities could be worth considering provided you have an appetite for some risk. For example over that time frame I think OCA could rerate fairly strongly and have invested an outsized portfolio position, (walking the talk) to back up that opinion.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Quote Originally Posted by voltage View Post
    If I was to invest $50000 for less than a year would you park this money in NZ shares?
    Depends how well you know the market.
    On 29th August I brought MVN at $1.06 cum divie.On Friday they were $1.16 ex div...Over 10% in 3 weeks.
    On 6th September I brought OCA at $1.10 .On Friday they were $1.21.....10% in just over 2 weeks.
    On Wednesday [26th] TRA are holding their agm at 10.30am.If the tone of the meeting is positive, buying a parcel under $3.00 should be profitable.
    HBL looks as though it has started a new up trend.
    So always opportunities,if you take care.Always safer buying big divie payers when their chart shows they are in,or have started a new uptrend,or on any earnings upgrade announcement..
    Stay away from companies not paying a divie.
    Last edited by percy; 23-09-2018 at 03:56 PM.

If I definitely needed the money in 12 months I'd go with a term deposit at one of the large banks or possibly a highly rated bond due to mature within your time frame.

Before deciding whether or not to take the risk of investing in shares, I'd want to know the consequences of holding a loss making position a year from now. If it's relatively insignificant, you may be more willing to take the risk than if it will have a material adverse effect on your lifestyle (or your relationship - if any).

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

Buy a Ford Ranger with big shinny wheels and drive round town all year..... you will be very cool.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by voltage View Post
    Volt, What sort of return do you want 5-10-15%, you must have something in mind ?

A bit left-field but how about investing in TWR?

Sneaky suspicion that the company may be sold within 12 months which will potentially mean a doubling of your investment ...

Or not ...

:P

Maybe wait for announcements to come out, then place the cash for less risk. Oca is looking healthier than ever. Sum is proven (but im waiting on the announcement before topping up).

You could buy nzx.wbc. they're easy to trade, just buy near $30, then sell when it goes up, rinse and repeat. If you get stuck with them, the dividend is better than the bank (though note there are no tax credits).

Why just a one year hold? Maybe if you give more info, people might have some out of the box ideas.