sharetrader
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Good Reads

  1. #1
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    11,842

    Default Good Reads

    Billion Dollar Whale by Tom Wright and Bradley Hope.Published in 2018 by Hachette.isbn.9780316490672.
    The story of Jho Low's investment fraud,involving The Prime Minister of Malaysia,Goldman Sachs,and many other banks and shady polictical figures,as well as Hollywood stars.Proves that where greed is king,principals and decency go out the window.Take care as he may still have $260mil of assets in trusts in NZ.
    I throughly enjoyed a good read.Thank you ChCh City Library for acquiring this book.

  2. #2
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    11,842

    Default

    In a House of Lies,by Ian Rankin,published in 2018 by Orion,isbn.9781409176886.
    Great having the team back including "retired" John Rebus.I do n't know whether it is because I have not read Ian Rankin for some time,but surely this must be about his best.Lies,lies, infact everbody is telling lies,but in the end Rebus by being the master liar, funds the truth.! Another good read.
    My rating.another 10 out of 10....[Loved it so much I thought of giving it a 12 out of 10].

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Billion Dollar Whale by Tom Wright and Bradley Hope.Published in 2018 by Hachette.isbn.9780316490672.
    The story of Jho Low's investment fraud,involving The Prime Minister of Malaysia,Goldman Sachs,and many other banks and shady polictical figures,as well as Hollywood stars.Proves that where greed is king,principals and decency go out the window.Take care as he may still have $260mil of assets in trusts in NZ.
    I throughly enjoyed a good read.Thank you ChCh City Library for acquiring this book.
    Will check this out thanks.

    Loved this books:

    https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Blood-Sec.../dp/152473165X

    "In 2014, Theranos founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes was widely seen as the female Steve Jobs: a brilliant Stanford dropout whose startup "unicorn" promised to revolutionize the medical industry with a machine that would make blood testing significantly faster and easier. Backed by investors such as Larry Ellison and Tim Draper, Theranos sold shares in a fundraising round that valued the company at more than $9 billion, putting Holmes's worth at an estimated $4.7 billion. There was just one problem: The technology didn't work."

  4. #4
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    21,598

    Default

    Percy, you read any Alan Furst.

    Mainly spy novels but well written, fast paced and easy to read

    Last one I read was Spies of the Balkans, one of Night Soldiers series
    I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing Socrates

  5. #5
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    11,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Percy, you read any Alan Furst.

    Mainly spy novels but well written, fast paced and easy to read

    Last one I read was Spies of the Balkans, one of Night Soldiers series
    Alan Furst is one of my favourite authors.
    Charles Cumming also writes similar good spies books.
    Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther stories are a must read.Try to read them in order.Starts before the 2nd WW.Bernie is a Berlin detective.Historical novels.
    Stuart McBride is the poor man's Ian Rankin.Great gritty stories,with plenty of black humour.
    Martin O'Brien writes good French detective stories based in the South of France.
    Martin Walker also writes French detective stories.A bit light weight,however I enjoyed them.
    Other authors I have enjoyed are ;William Ryan,David Mark,Michael Russell,Benjamin Black,Lars Kepler, Peter May,Peter Robinson,and Jo Nesbo,although I gave up on his latest, MacBeth, as I found it too depressing..
    Last edited by percy; 10-11-2018 at 01:58 PM.

  6. #6
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    21,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Alan Furst is one of my favourite authors.
    Charles Cumming also writes similar good spies books.
    Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther stories are a must read.Try to read them in order.Starts before the 2nd WW.Bernie is a Berlin detective.Historical novels.
    Stuart McBride is the poor man's Ian Rankin.Great gritty stories,with plenty of black humour.
    Martin O'Brien writes good French detective stories based in the South of France.
    Martin Walker also writes French detective stories.A bit light weight,however I enjoyed them.
    Other authors I have enjoyed are ;William Ryan,David Mark,Michael Russell,Benjamin Black,Lars Kepler, Peter May,Peter Robinson,and Jo Nesbo,although I gave up on his latest, MacBeth, as I found it too depressing..
    Might try out Stuart McBride .....sounds interesting
    I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing Socrates

  7. #7
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    11,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Might try out Stuart McBride .....sounds interesting
    Try to read them in order.
    Cold Granite,Dying Light,Broken Skin,Flesh House,Blind Eye,Dark Blood,Shatter the Bones,Close to the Bone,Missing and the Dead,In the Cold Dark Ground,and the Blood Road.
    Last edited by percy; 10-11-2018 at 12:38 PM.

  8. #8
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    6,330

    Default

    I'll second the enthusiasm for Alan Furst. Think I've read them all - except for the first, Night Soldiers. Put off by the size! I'll probably go back to it one day although I expect to find I've spoilt the experience through reading the others out of turn.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rangiora, New Zealand.
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Try to read them in order.
    Cold Granite,Dying Light,Broken Skin,Flesh House,Blind Eye,Dark Blood,Shatter the Bones,Close to the Bone,Missing and the Dead,In the Cold Dark Ground,and the Blood Road.

    For those that prefer audio books. http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/l...uart-macbride/

  10. #10
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    11,842

    Default

    Just remembered a jolly good read.Something a bit different but well worth reading.
    The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow.isbn.9780099509455.
    And two more excellent authors;Gerald Seymour and John Lawton's Inspector Troy series,again best read in order. .
    Last edited by percy; 11-11-2018 at 09:40 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Just remembered a jolly good read.Something a bit different but well worth reading.
    The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow.isbn.9780099509455.
    And two more excellent authors;Gerald Seymour and John Lawton's Inspector Troy series,again best read in order. .
    Olen Steinhauer, Bernard Minier and Dan Fesperman are also worth a look.

    westerly

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Kieran

  13. #13
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    7,053

    Default

    Pretty well any book by Cormac Mccarthy esp The Road , No Country For Old Men (great movies too). Gripping , cant put them down.

    Also "Lonesome Dove" trilogy by Larry McMurtry classic epic western

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •